New to birds but very excited

Heather123

Aug 31, 2017
Montana
Parrots
I have 2 Budgies My males name is Joey Beaks and my little girl is Miss Lucy. My Newest Addition Oscar the Love bird.
Hey everyone, I am happy to say after many years of waiting and wanting a bird I have reached a point in my life where I can properly care for a bird. I have always wanted a bird but in my younger years knew that my life style was not steady enough to provide the love a bird would need from me. But now that I am officially 30 and my life is quite mellow these days I knew I could finally with confidence have a bird. I decided to start with to little Budgies and I am glad I did as they are amazing. I have a male (Joey Beaks) and a female (Miss Lucy). I joined today as I have much to learn and might be needing some advice soon. I want to be a good bird mom. :greenyellow::yellow2:

Welcome Heather!

Budgies are good starter birds and a lot of fun. Be sure to read about what foods are toxic (i.e. Avacados, chocolate). Also using teflon pans is a no no.

Welcome Heather, Joey Beaks, and Miss Lucy! We're glad you joined and look forward to learning more about your flock.

Most important are the safety considerations, so I'll suggest a few threads of interest:

http://www.parrotforums.com/new-mem...friendly-warnings-keep-your-parrots-safe.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Feel free to ask any questions or post observations!

Welcome to the forum, Heather and budgies!

I disagree that budgies are "starter birds". They might not be as loud, messy, or demanding as the larger parrots but still deserve the same amount of love and respect! Birds in general are not "easy" or "low maintenance" pets so budgies are not "starter pets".

I kind of agree with FlyBirdiesFly here sometimes a mid range is a good first choice. Just because the bird is really the one training you. I definitely would not recommend a big bird or exotic as a first choice though.

Very important to nuance the term "starter bird."

In one context it describes a bird that is generally small, docile, easy to handle and incapable of inflicting significant damage. Far easier to have a budgie or cockatiel as first bird than a scarlet macaw! The alternate meaning is a "disposable" or lesser valued bird that is merely stepping stone to a larger and more appreciated companion. Sadly, many such birds are re-homed or reduced to junior status over time.

Actually I find cockatiels much more demanding then budgies. My budgie never demands out of cage time or calls for me if I leave the room. In fact, she prefers to stay in her cage a lot of the time! And I wouldn't call Bluebell "easy to handle". She is very independent and usually flies off when I try to interact with her. But my cockatiel and conure are easy to handle because they are bonded to me.

I agree with scott and Flybirdiesfly here that anyone that says "starter bird" isn't committed. A local pet shop was selling finches....and I was like why? sure they can be pretty and tamed to a certain extent but they are wild, and all the birds they were selling where wild. I looked it up yes sure they can be tamed but not really a "companion" it's like getting a goldfish or a lizard, some animals are just there for pretty.

A parrot or parrolet or mackaw requires a lot of time devotion and LOVE! Otherwise you just spent a lot of money on a pretty, yet bored, lonely animal.

Welcome Heather, Joey Beaks & Miss Lucy. :)
I'm new too.

Sorry if I offend anyone by saying budgies were starter birds. I agree any bird is a lot of work and requires attention and patience. I am very dedicated to my bird and take his health and well being VERY seriously. I just was unfamiliar that the term "starter bird" could be interpreted in a negative way. Thank you for the education and rest assured I will not use that term again.

Last edited:
Sorry if I offend anyone by saying budgies were starter birds. I agree any bird is a lot of work and requires attention and patience. I am very dedicated to my bird and take his health and well being VERY seriously. I just was unfamiliar that the term "starter bird" could be interpreted in a negative way. Thank you for the education and rest assured I will not use that term again.

No offense taken by me, Laura! I knew your intent was positive and not meant as dismissive. That's why I wanted to clarify the dual meaning of "starter bird" for everyone who may be curious.

I'm glad you joined up.

I love budgies. I'd have at LEAST a pair if the Rb would let me...

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much. I am sure that I will ne plenty of advice. Any tips for bonding are very welcome right now as I am trying to figure these the babies out.

I agree with everything said I picked the budgies after a long month of research to see what bird was right for me. I don't feel any animal purchase should be made quickly and without research.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back