New to Quaker Parrots...first week home advice!

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I am a new Quaker momma. I purchased a 1yr old Quaker from a store. Was told he had been there quite a while and that he was only handled very minimumily which broke my heart. We have been home about 3 hours now. I knew to start with he will have an adjustment period. I have light classic country music playing as the store employees told me he enjoys music and am talking to him but also giving him his space. He started by staying on the opposite side of the cage as I was sitting but has since moved to my side and is just watching. He does make eye contact when I talk to him and seems to have been "cat napping." Is there any advice for helping him feel more comfortable with our family as we are estactic to have him be a part of it now. I just am wanting to be the best new quaker momma if you will that I can be.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
With a Quaker unless it was hand raised, just take you time. They have a huge personality. And they don't like a lot of change. You might hear some grrrr noises..... apologize in soft voice... they love to be preened, but you got to give them time. You are saying you got it 3 hours ago ....think more three weeks from now gaining trust. And treats, let him/her watch you give broccoli and cauliflower and carrots to thier cage.

They are very smart. They can figure it out just always use a tender voice.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Congratulations on becoming a Quaker parront. :) In the beginning, a good approach is to sit calmly near the new parrot's cage and talk softly to him. You could read and sing to him too if you want. That helps the parrot get used to you and the sound of your voice. After a while you can try offering treats. Just take things slowly and don't try to rush interactions. Let your parrot set the pace. Give your new QP a chance to become familiar with his new surroundings. Eventually you can offer him the chance to come out of his cage. I always suggest putting a hanging perch on the outside of the cage, just below the door. When you want to invite the parrot to come out, open the door and let him decide if/when he's ready. He might want to just step onto the hanging perch and study his surroundings for a while before working up the courage to explore farther. Be patient and take all the time that's needed for your QP to settle in and get comfortable and gradually you will work at building a bond with your Quaker. Good luck to you both!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

this is what it will be ......

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
With a Quaker unless it was hand raised, just take you time. They have a huge personality. And they don't like a lot of change. You might hear some grrrr noises..... apologize in soft voice... they love to be preened, but you got to give them time. You are saying you got it 3 hours ago ....think more three weeks from now gaining trust. And treats, let him/her watch you give broccoli and cauliflower and carrots to thier cage.

Awesome! I will definitely take it slowly! Thank you very much I appreciate any and all advice!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Congratulations on becoming a Quaker parront. :) In the beginning, a good approach is to sit calmly near the new parrot's cage and talk softly to him. You could read and sing to him too if you want. That helps the parrot get used to you and the sound of your voice. After a while you can try offering treats. Just take things slowly and don't try to rush interactions. Let your parrot set the pace. Give your new QP a chance to become familiar with his new surroundings. Eventually you can offer him the chance to come out of his cage. I always suggest putting a hanging perch on the outside of the cage, just below the door. When you want to invite the parrot to come out, open the door and let him decide if/when he's ready. He might want to just step onto the hanging perch and study his surroundings for a while before working up the courage to explore farther. Be patient and take all the time that's needed for your QP to settle in and get comfortable and gradually you will work at building a bond with your Quaker. Good luck to you both!
Thank you for all the advice! I was able to hang a few new toys in there with him after I offered a treat and he calmly took it from and I was able to put the toy up and move back out lol I didn't try any closer interaction with him other than he taking the treat from me as I was sure it was a very stressful day! So I'm hoping that is a good sign that we are on a good path.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot

Being from a store they say he was hand fed which I am able to give him treats while reaching in as I learned when hanging a new toy. My husband and daughter can give treats and he will calmly take it from the outside. I did purchase some of his toys the employees said he liked and added a few more. I have 7 in there with 4 perches, swing and a ladder. I wanted to make sure he had a jungle gym compared to the 2 toys and perch he had at the store. Not Downing the store in any way! He was quite content there also when I met him as I interacted and took a day or so to make sure I had everything ready before I went back to bring him home.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Mine just growls a lot like in the video but variations vary.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Ohhh ok...that is funny! Talking or not talking they seem to amazing birds!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Oh by the way usually quakers to start out are hand shy....Sometimes better to wear a sweater and pull the sleeves over your hands in the beginning unless its not hand shy. I fully covered cloth stump is less threatening to them.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I do have another question that pertains to the new home. He seems to be sticking to one perch on one side. He has went around the whole thing 2x and has been on the swing but has really taken to one perch and one side. At this pint only being day #2 but still first 24 hours home is that ok?

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Oh by the way usually quakers to start out are hand shy....Sometimes better to wear a sweater and pull the sleeves over your hands in the beginning unless its not hand shy. I fully covered cloth stump is less threatening to them.
He doesn't want to get on hands by no means but he does respond well when you hand a treat to him so hoping that is a good sign! But I will try the covering and see

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I do have another question that pertains to the new home. He seems to be sticking to one perch on one side. He has went around the whole thing 2x and has been on the swing but has really taken to one perch and one side. At this pint only being day #2 but still first 24 hours home is that ok?
Oh yeah, EVERY bird will pick a spot, just like a dad will pick a recliner. They find a spot they like tin the cage and that is "their" spot. And Birds like their cages....it's a place they feel safe. Don't think it's punishment that they are in there.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Also any advice on working him into our routine to develop feeding schedule and all. He came from a store and they opened at 9 and closed at 7 so I know we will need to work on one routine for us.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Oh yeah, EVERY bird will pick a spot, just like a dad will pick a recliner. They find a spot they like tin the cage and that is "their" spot. And Birds like their cages....it's a place they feel safe. Don't think it's punishment that they are in there.
Ok! I was just a little concerned is all. I did move his water bowl over to him and he did drink and will take treats from us but hoping he explores to find his food bowl and fresh fruit/veg bowl

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Also any advice on working him into our routine to develop feeding schedule and all. He came from a store and they opened at 9 and closed at 7 so I know we will need to work on one routine for us.
do your schedule.......you have thirty years or so with the bird. It will adapt to you.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
do your schedule.......you have thirty years or so with the bird. It will adapt to you.
Ok awesome! I guess maybe I was being extra trying to make sure it went as smooth as possible for him.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Ok awesome! I guess maybe I was being extra trying to make sure it went as smooth as possible for him.
Imagine being in a plexiglass box, people coming by tapping the box at random times.....

Being in a home with known people and a safe space.......don't worry to much.....your bird won the lottery as far as it's concerned.

Most Reactions

Latest posts