New to Quaker Parrots...first week home advice!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I agree I'd have someone else do it......Also....Sometimes, you just have to do it. I'd try luring, but an appointment with a vet is important enough to just reach in and get it. There are exceptions to the "bird's bill of rights". If they are in danger, have something in their beak that could hurt/poison them, or to see and AVN you can violate the birds "rights" in those instances.

You (or whoever helps) may get a bite, but if your willing to take a bite from a new bird you care enough about the bird to keep it safe. Also Quakers don't really bite that hard. I'd rather a quaker bite than a conure bite.
Yes if it comes down to it I will for sure! It is extremely important to me that I do take care of all his needs!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Yes if it comes down to it I will for sure! It is extremely important to me that I do take care of all his needs!
Good Evening! My little fella is off and on making a buzzing noise. He is very active and nosiy at times lol but all playful. He is very alert and doesn't seem sick like but the buzzing I worried about. I watched him and it doesn't seem to associate with breathing or anything of that nature. Is buzzing just one of their many sounds?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
more like a guring sound? that would be normal

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
more like a guring sound? that would be normal
Only way cam think to describe it is if you laid a ring on a phone and the phone vibrated it would almost be the noise the ring would make. It's not constant

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
A happy and contented Quaker parrot will often purr like a kitten. That might seem like a buzzing sound. It's also possible that your QP learned to imitate some object that buzzes.
Ok...I wasn't sure, but it's def cute and he isn't sick or anything. So it could be quite possible it is something he learned while at the store.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Ok...I wasn't sure, but it's def cute and he isn't sick or anything. So it could be quite possible it is something he learned while at the store.
Rewatch the video I posted, is it like that?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Probably a coo then. Meaning it's happy.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Probably a coo then. Meaning it's happy.
The vet visit went well! Getting him out was easier than we anticipated and also once outside of his cage he is very sweet and likes to wander. Vet said he looked great and everything checked out good. But my question is since we went he has been quiet not really chattering or anything. His visit was 2 days ago. Is this something of concern? I'm not sure exactly how often outside of what the pet store had to do was done vet wise but he didn't seemed stressed or anything after just super quiet.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
The vet visit went well! Getting him out was easier than we anticipated and also once outside of his cage he is very sweet and likes to wander. Vet said he looked great and everything checked out good. But my question is since we went he has been quiet not really chattering or anything. His visit was 2 days ago. Is this something of concern? I'm not sure exactly how often outside of what the pet store had to do was done vet wise but he didn't seemed stressed or anything after just super quiet.
A quiet chatter occasionally but not loud or chirps like he was before the visit

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
He could just be a little stressed from the visit.
When I had to take one of my budgies he was very quiet for the rest of the day and wasn’t as active the next day.
He could still be tired from going but maybe if his behavior doesn’t return to normal soon, be a bit concerned.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
He could just be a little stressed from the visit.
When I had to take one of my budgies he was very quiet for the rest of the day and wasn’t as active the next day.
He could still be tired from going but maybe if his behavior doesn’t return to normal soon, be a bit concerned.
Yes I plan on asking if he doesn't seem closer to where he was before. We only have had an a little over a week so on top of the vet it still a new house so I know there is still getting settled in happening. He is eating and drinking so I'm glad for that just quieter than what he was on Thursday.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I'm just curious how its going....

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I'm just curious how its going....
It's going well! He has went back to how he was previously before the vet visit. We have figured out he seems to be cage protective. Once we get him out he wants to go tuck in our arm bends but doesn't become aggressive or anything once outside of "his space" I do figure this is partially due to spending so long in a pet store. We can reach in the cage and place a seed on our flat hand and he gently take it so we have made some progress just slow going.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
It's going well! He has went back to how he was previously before the vet visit. We have figured out he seems to be cage protective. Once we get him out he wants to go tuck in our arm bends but doesn't become aggressive or anything once outside of "his space" I do figure this is partially due to spending so long in a pet store. We can reach in the cage and place a seed on our flat hand and he gently take it so we have made some progress just slow going.
Well this evening he seems to have picked up a new "tone" I guess to his chatter. I do believe he may be trying to say a word but unsure just know its a chatter noise I have not yet heard. He is also becoming very "vocal" with his squawking when we are out of the room or don't speak to him when we are sitting in the same room. Definitely seeing a personality starting to come out.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Well this evening he seems to have picked up a new "tone" I guess to his chatter. I do believe he may be trying to say a word but unsure just know its a chatter noise I have not yet heard. He is also becoming very "vocal" with his squawking when we are out of the room or don't speak to him when we are sitting in the same room. Definitely seeing a personality starting to come out.
Yep thats a good sign.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Yep thats a good sign.
Well we have been practicing coming out and being up close. He has done well minus he likes to hide his face. Today I was helping him out as the vet recommended with the coating on the new feathers and as I was helping him he was nibbling on my shirt and had his eyes closed. Looked very content.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
That is a very good sign. You have yourself a life companion.

Most Reactions

Latest posts