New to the bird community

[email protected]

Feb 6, 2010
Hi everyone, soon to be a new bird owner,i want to get a sun conure what books would you reccomend to read on bird care and a book on bird training, or does anyone have a suggest about a good first parrot. Thanks

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I learned a great deal about parrots from Parrots for Dummies. It is a very comprehensive book. I suggest you read about parrots first to see if you are willing to be a guardian. It takes education and lots and lots of time and patience. Th sun conure is a gorgeous bird. Good luck and keep us posted. We are happy to have a new member on board.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi and welcome !!!
Glad you are doing your homework before purchasing a bird.
SB choice of book is a fantastic one Parrots for Dummies, very informative.
Good luck with your choice.
Let us know what you decide
Take care

justwingingit

Nov 28, 2009
Media
New Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Macaws: Hyacinth, B&G's, Greenwings, Scarlets, Blue Throated. Afr Grey, Cuban Amazon, Caiques, et al
When researching your bird, take in to consideration, noise, size, cage, etc. The bigger the bird, the more room (and bigger poops) it should have. The internet is a wonderful source for looking up information. While there are different theories and opinions, common sense will always be your best bet. Why not find an avian vet and go over questions with them? You will need one when you get your feathered friend. Good luck and let us know what you get!:blue:

Stacye and Tiki

Jan 16, 2010
Media
Parrots
Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure - Tiki, Green Cheek Conure - Dexter
Sun conures are awesome!!!

But noisy! They can be EXTREMELY loud. They are generally not good apartment birds.

Conures of the Aratinga genus (which includes Sun Conures, Dusky Conures, Jenday Conures, etc) tend to be very noisy.

Those of the genus Pyrrhura (which includes Green Cheek conures, Black cap conures, Painted conures) can be a bit quieter.

That is a generalization, however, as some of the people on the board will tell you that they have a sun conure who is quiet as a mouse and a green cheek that screams at 3 am for an hour!

I personally think that a Green Cheek conure is a lovely starting bird.. but I might be biased as I have on myself.

She has a lovely, silly personality and is generally quiet and even in her noisy moments she cant come close to the noise the Sun Conure we have at work puts out.

Hope this helps some!!!!

OP
S

[email protected]

Feb 6, 2010
stacye i think youve turned me towards the green cheek conures i have an apartment and noise would definately be a factor i really do like the sun conure's colors, but i think i will like a green cheek just the same plus your picture is priceless :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Welcome to the board. It's good to hear that you're doing your research. So many people - me included - get their first bird without really knowing what they're getting into. While it's worked out well for me, information and education about birds makes for a better situation in the long run.

genevieve

Jan 3, 2010
Northern Virginia
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot
You should also consider Meyer's parrots. We've had Alcatraz for over a month now and he has never made noise after bedtime. He is noisy twice a day, as is pretty normal for birds. But can go hours in between with just cute, little noises.

He may not be the most colorful bird, but the feathers on his back are a beautiful iridescent blue. And while Meyer's parrots aren't known for their talking ability, Alcatraz just learned "hello" so I'm hoping more words will follow.

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw & Cockatiel
Welcome!! So nice to hear you're getting a bird!
I agree, if you live in an apartment, a sun conure may drive neighbors crazy....they are loud, but most importantly, they are loud OFTEN. :) They love to use their voices.

Green cheeks are great too, but tend to be bitey, in my experience..... remember that ALL species will have its pros and cons. Get familiar with them and then try your best to rule out whatever cons you are not willing to deal with or want. The rest is all determined by the individual bird. (not all fit their reputations)

Have you considered a cockatiel? These are fun loving little birds that brighten up any room with color and a cheerful spirit each day. They love to sing and play and are a wonderful start to keeping birds....especially if you want to satrt off with something that is handlable.
Green cheeks are awesome, cute and snuggly....but watch your fingers. not as screamy as most other conures tend to be. Just happy cute little guys. :)

Quakers and Senegals are wonderful first time birds too .... especially the quaker and it comes highly recommended as a first time bird. Both are fun loving, senegals can be a little more screamy ... but not typically as much as a conure. Quakers become good talkers, are playful and affectionate, and just the right size for apartment living.
Can't say much of anything negative about them.

Anyway .... there are a few for you to consider that would be a nice choice. Keep doing what you are doing by reading and asking questions....soon you'll have a very nice bird at home with you. :) Good luck

Stacye and Tiki

Jan 16, 2010
Media
Parrots
Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure - Tiki, Green Cheek Conure - Dexter
Natalie is correct that GCC can be a bit bitey. So can alot of fids, though. It took me a few weeks to figure out WHEN Tiki is likely to bite and why and then I just avoid those situations at all costs.

Cockatiels are a lovely choice as well. They have wonderful sweet personalities. Another option is a hand fed male lovebird or parrotlet. They are tiny and adorable with huge personalities. Steer away from the females if you can because they can be less friendly and cage aggressive at times.

Quakers are lovely if they are legal in your state... they are not legal in mine so I can't have one :(

Anyway hope you find what you're looking for! Off to work :( Ciao.

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw & Cockatiel
Nice additions, lovebirds and parrotlets...very cute too!

So many birds .... how to choose just one?

So what makes the quaker illegal in your state? That's so sad. :(

OP
S

[email protected]

Feb 6, 2010
any say in wether males or females are a bit more nippy i think i would like a female is there any significant personality differences between the two sexes any big differences between them

OP
S

[email protected]

Feb 6, 2010
how big do green cheeks actually get do they stay about the size of stacye and tiki picture? my parrots for dummies hasn't come in yet im disappointed hopefully amazon didn't stiff me lol

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
Green cheeked conures are about the size of a tiel. I have a tiel, lovebird, and 3 parakeets. The tiel is my favorite cause he is always in a good mood. The parakeets are cute and nice but small. Lovebirds are full of energy and do so hilarious stunts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts