New vet visit

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Hi all, I finally got Nika an appt Tuesday for the vet. She had an appt at another avian vet, but (get this) some sort of scandal came up, and a police investigation is currently in effect for the place, so needless to say, I cancelled. I talked to a local breeder and he gave me a vet contact which is very near me. Goes to show that the Internet isn't always accurate about who's who in any area, because when I did a search she didn't come up. Very reputable, so I'm more at ease. It's a standard check-up..what should I look out for? What should I bring?
I've always had budgies and other small birds that never needed a vet visit, so this is my first. When I got her, they said she'd been checked out, but I'm pretty sure they're lying thru their teeth. Any suggestions anyone? Nika is my first conure and my first bird with any issues (history of plucking, but she stopped) . Thanx in advance. :)

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
When I took my CAG to vet, he made a general observation such as feathers, nails, fingers, checked her weight and palpated her breastbone, took a look into her mouth, at her nostrils.
I don't think that you have to take something special with you. Maybe something that she likes to keep her calm.
Good luck

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Bring a sample of Nika's diet with you if it isnt a standard brand. Also make note of the fresh foods you feed her so the vet can know all of her intake.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It may be a general check up but you may want to get fecals ($40-$60 typically) and blood work done ($80-$200+) to make sure she is in fact healthy and not plucking due to a health problems (although the full blood work for plucking can be quite expensive).

Most Reactions