Newbie has conure questions

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
So, I've been doing some research and keep getting unclear answers re: if conures need grit. Can someone please clarify?
Also wondering if they need a cuttle bone like a cockatiel does. My thought was yes, but I was also told no.
Also - wondering when a conure is "full grown" with all their adult feathers?

Thanks!

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Hello,

Do you have a conure? If so, congratulations!

No, conures do not need grit, and I have a cuttlebone in my conures cage, but he's never used it.

Our conure is 7 months old now, and I'm not sure when to consider him an adult. I still consider him a baby, and probably will practically his entire life ;)

Take care,

Toni

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
I can tell you that my conure is 6 months old and just starting her first molt, her new feathers are coming in like crazy.

So I guess a 6 month old doesn't have full adult feathers.

Oh and can someone tell me why the word conure comes up as a misspelling? Do we conure owners have no respect from the spell checker people? ;-)

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
Well, as far as I know they dont need any of that stuff. Full grown I guess would be sexual maturity? If anyone knows when that is. And conure comes up as a misspelling because it was made up and is mainly used in aviculture /the 'pet world' of birds, it's rarely used by scientists to identify species and things like that. I think I read that on Wikipedia

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Generally conures and others do a major molt at about 1 to 2 years of age. That means the replace the wings and tail feathers as well as body feathers. Prior to that it is a partial molt. My little Gcc is going through his first baby molt at 5 months of age.

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
Thank you for all your replies! I guess I'll just see what happens with my little Keen baby.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I can tell you that my conure is 6 months old and just starting her first molt, her new feathers are coming in like crazy.

So I guess a 6 month old doesn't have full adult feathers.

Oh and can someone tell me why the word conure comes up as a misspelling? Do we conure owners have no respect from the spell checker people? ;-)

are you on a Mac? haha poor conure babies... pionus isn't a word either.. :( lol

Lonnie

Oct 8, 2011
As I undertand it, only birds that eat the whole seeds need grit, so I am assuming canaries, finches, and birds of that nature. I have also been told that grit given to a parrot can clog their throat, and result in their death!!!

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Second, on the hearing that grit can kill when not needed. My canary, Ferdinand, used grit before we got him and then we did not give him any when he came with us because many breeders claimed the need for grit was a myth. He met an untimely end when a guest burned food on my stove top and left ferdy in his hanging cage in the kitchen :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts