OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Just a couple of breakfast pics.

Nike eating Bird Street Bistro's Viva La Veggies mixed with Texas Freeze Dried chop.

nike-bistro7-23-20.JPG

And Nike getting ready to dip a dried cranberry from the MyBirdSafeStore.com Crantastic Crunch .

nike-cranberry7-23-20.JPG

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Damp, dreary morning at the campsite so we're inside for now...and pretty bored. Nothing like a banana video to break the boredom.

nike camping5 25 20 - YouTube

I chuckle at this video Bill..Amy does the same thing,usually when we are in the car going on an adventure. When I ask him what he is doing and if he is enjoying himself,he'll stop and look at me with what looks to be a :) on his face.After he has "satisfied" himself, nine times out of ten he'll start on my beard :p. Thats when I tell him that I understand completely lol.

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Bill..what are the circumstances/Nike's mood.when she raises her "collar"?
When she does raise it,are you certain of her mood? Or does she raise it "just because I can"? :18:

Jim

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
When she does raise it,are you certain of her mood? Or does she raise it "just because I can"? :18:
Jim
If she hisses or huffs then she's pissed and may bite though never hard enough to draw blood if she bites you hand. So pretty much 98 percent of the time the crest is raised from excitement or hormones/ That was probably true since we got her but in the beginning we didn't know what was up. The key is the hiss or huff. She also does a sound like a door creaking and that is a warning as well that she's annoyed but doesn't intend to try to bite.

There's a video of her only shoulder, crest raised, making noises (no hissing) and biting my fingers...totally playing though 5 years ago I wouldn't have had her on my shoulder in that mood.

So back to your original question, because of the audible warning I'm always certain of her mood and when she gives me the warning, I probably knew that I was on shaky ground before I did whatever caused it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Jim
If she hisses or huffs then she's pissed and may bite though never hard enough to draw blood if she bites you hand. So pretty much 98 percent of the time the crest is raised from excitement or hormones/ That was probably true since we got her but in the beginning we didn't know what was up. The key is the hiss or huff. She also does a sound like a door creaking and that is a warning as well that she's annoyed but doesn't intend to try to bite.

There's a video of her only shoulder, crest raised, making noises (no hissing) and biting my fingers...totally playing though 5 years ago I wouldn't have had her on my shoulder in that mood.

So back to your original question, because of the audible warning I'm always certain of her mood and when she gives me the warning, I probably knew that I was on shaky ground before I did whatever caused it.

Clearly, she has trained you well! But with all Parrots, they will comment on how slow Humans are at getting the message! :D

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Damp, dreary morning at the campsite so we're inside for now...and pretty bored. Nothing like a banana video to break the boredom.
I haven't considered feeding Meisha banana until finding this thread yesterday. Meisha ate a small amount this morning under protest. Typical for her on trying any new food. Will give her another opportunity tomorrow.

Found a reference on the values of providing the fruit to our hookbills, should any of you be interested: Should Parrots Eat Banana? Source: Beak Craze

Hey Bill .... beautiful bird!

Last edited:
OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
WhiteFlight,
Thanks

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike's morning weigh-in

[ame="https://youtu.be/qoXEePu_0q8"]nike weigh12 14 20 - YouTube[/ame]

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Great Video of HRH!

But, what was her weight? Or, doesn't she want that number commonly know!?!? :D:D:D
Hard to see, it was 194 grams. She has not varied more than a poop from that weight since I got her 5 years ago on Dec 20th. :)

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
New phone so I needed to take a picture with it.

nike1-31-21.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Always enjoy Nike photos good friend!
Thanks for the photos!

I see that the winter snow storm that is leaving here is headed your way as a Northeaster.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Always enjoy Nike photos good friend!
Thanks for the photos!

I see that the winter snow storm that is leaving here is headed your way as a Northeaster.

About seven inches here so far with the heaviest accumulation on the way,expected to stop early TUESDAY morning :eek: 18 to 24 inches predicted here in CT :( Glad I serviced my snowblower yesterday.

Such a pretty girl you have there Bill :)

Jim

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
She's such a beauty!

Most Reactions

Latest posts