Nipping at bathtime but what does it mean?

will_blyn_wilson

Feb 10, 2021
Wilson likes to nip my fingers while he bathes in my hands. Is he trying to tell me something? Does he want my fingers out of the way but doesn't understand that they are holding his water? Does he want a flatter and wider hand tub? Does he want a deeper tub?

He's a gcc and I know biting is just a part the deal. I'm cool with it but if there's something he wants from me it would be nice to know.

Also this is my first post. Wilson has been with us for about a year now. I love him dearly. Anything I should know about forum rules?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If he is nipping only during the bath, in your hand, more likely just being joyful as some Parrots really enjoy the bath with their Human.

Bitting is something that Humans really work to avoid. That said, it is common for Parrots to use their bill to explore the World around them. And/or part of grooming their best buddy. With that as a reality, the goal becomes working with them to control the pressure used!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
O use a shallow serving dish or sturdy shallow bowl with 1 and half inch of water. I splash with my hand and the birds come running to take a bath on their own. Or you can use a water only spray bottle and mist pointup above the bird and let mist fall down on thrm many birds enjoy this too.

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your GCC!

This says stress in parrots, but really is just a great article on how parrots are abd think abd things that can be helpful.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Also because i have sick birds, and we see so many sick birds. That I wanted to tell you the practice of weighing your burd weekly is important. A digital kitchen scale set to grsms. As birds hide being sick, a drop in weight can be tge first or only sign something is wrong. You go % lost, more than 3% lost seek a veterinarian, more than 5% you hsve a sick bird get to vet quickly. Yiu take weight lost divide by normal weight x 100 = % lost

Last edited:

Most Reactions