Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Hey guys! I have two cockatiels, a green cheek conure and 4 budgies. I use squawkbox for monthly toys and treats and I cant get any of the birds to chew. They chew on NOTHING. All the toys are perfect condition.

they have an aviary type setup where they get to roam free when I am not around, they get lots of time with me, they seem happy, but they don't chew. Chewing should be instinctual and fun for them and I'm sad they don't participate. I've tried all sorts of toys. any advice or insight?

:grey::yellow1::blue2::yellow2::whiteblue::blue2:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Try boxes or newspaper? something easy to chew? BB likes toys with streamers and makes mince meat out of paper. Amy likes tp rolls and fingers :eek:

Glad to see a post from you YUM

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The instinctual chewing response is connected with finding and obtaining food. With food served everyday, part of that response is depressed. The other part of the response is founded around nest building. This response is also depressed as we control sleep pattern to limit the onset of hormonal flow.

To encourage chewing is a combination of introducing foraging and providing more chew based foods like Veggies.

Look at softer wood toys and paper products.

Just remember that very often, their newly found joy of chewing just may include those expensive things you own,

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good to hear from you Yum!

Sometimes, parrots don't know what to do with chew toys, really. Sometimes it helps if you show them how much fun they are, playing with the toys, make believe chewing and making all sorts of happy squeals and squeaks. This can also work when introducing new foods and veggies.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Try a variety of textures-- that wood that is kind of like balsa seems gratifying to Noodles. Have you rewarded them for attending to their toys and modeled playing with them (don't bite them, as your saliva is not safe for them) but act like they are super fun and reward them for touching them at all etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts