No. Yum.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Well he said it. Tyler has decided that Harrison's is a no go. He mumbled it this afternoon when I was trying to coax him into eating a fresh bowlful. I was saying all the things he says when he likes something and then when I said yummy yummy he said, 'no yum' I can't very well force him to eat it.
My Macaw and Amazon eat every last bite.. but I have trouble getting Tyler to eat anything. He just wants seeds and cheez-its . Won't eat much of his fresh food either.
I can't even bring the cheez-it container in my room with his cage covered because he smells it and goes nuts. Of course, cheez-its are one of the only things that settle MY crazy belly right now so we are kind of stuck. lol.
I've tried mixing it in with foods and things.. smushing it.. he just doesn't like it.
He has been VERY over excited lately since having his cage brought down to my room. He also goes crazy for his cardboard boxes.. he is SO eager to play with them that he wont stay away for a minute.
I took them away and hid them, I'm hoping he'll pay more attention to his appetite now. When he's developed better eating habits he can have them back. Poor little guy.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
:D :p "No, yum" ... priceless! Well, Sarah, it appears as though Tyler has definitively decided that Harrisons is not for him! LOL :D ...Have you considered or tried Roudybush? I have about a half pound in my pantry that I am going to soon try with my fiddies. Just trying to add variety, premium pellets.

Tyler is a man-birdie after my own heart as I, too, love Chez-its!

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Iggy really likes Roudybush, but he was raised on it from the time he was weaned...so maybe it's not for everybirdy...but worth a try!

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Have you tried Zupreem, or Pretty Bird ? My guys all love zupreem, even the budgies. I know pellets aren't great for budgies, but they really enjoy it so i give them bit mixed in with their seed.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D That is priceless, he knows what he likes. :D

Have you tried wrapping a cheez-it in some veg of some sort, he may only nibble the veg but he may just decide he likes it, especially as it comes with cheez-its. :D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
What about making some birdie bread with veggies & pellets inside? It may work. Also, with big leafy greens like Chard & Kale, instead of cutting it up, I entwine it through the bars of the cage, or I hook it onto a quick link and hang it from the cage like a toy. Gigi & Sisqo eat it when I present it like that instead of chopped up.

OP
Flyte

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Thanks for all the input guys!!
Tyler, like all my birds,seems to think lettuce/greens are the most disgusting things he could possibly eat. I always have to trick them into eating raw stuff.
I would like to try some more pelleted foods, unfortunately I'm not working and I can't really afford to be trying a ton of different ones.
Need to do some more research, I only want to try the better, more natural less preservative type stuff. I heard that pretty bird wasn't a very good brand and it always smelled so fruity to me, like fruit loops or something. I don't know though. Like I said, I need to research some more.
This morning I could see he had eaten some of a few pellets and I saw him messing with them throughout the day. Don't worry, he isn't starving. I have started giving him a small ration of seeds and as long as I'm there coaxing him to take every bite (...) he eats his mush food now.

Since I go in for my surgery this coming Tuesday I've decided to just let him go back to the seeds for now. I will have have my mom give him a few pellets as well but I can't expect her to sit there coddling him trying to get him to eat it. I would end up being very worried about whether he was eating enough the entire time I was in the hospital which won't help anything and might even hinder my progress.

I am going to try getting him to eat some sprouted seeds along with the regular ones. At least those would be more nutritious, I think. Not sure if I can just sprout the seed mix I have now or if I need to get special stuff.. what do you guys use?
Going to try doing the mixture I have now since I can't get anything else yet.
Thanks!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
When I've had a fid who wouldn't eat I gave them some sprouted sunflower seeds and they loved them. I've used all sorts of sprouting seeds, I pick them up at my local health food store. Kito at the moment doesn't know what to make of them, but he's got some sunflower sprouts today so I'll let ya know what he thinks of them.

Hope the surgery goes well.

OP
Flyte

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Well.
Thanks Peta, your a genius. This morning I gave everyone some breakfast, some noodles smushed with sweet potato. I spread a thin layer on 4 cheez-its and Tyler ATE EVERY LAST BITE. lol. So, even though this is going to be the biggest pain in the butt ever.. I'll do it. Maybe we can eventually get to the point where the food can be on a plate next to the cheez-its.
I plan, when I get home from surgery and am able to move around again, to try smushing some Harrison's on the crackers. It's worth a shot!
Woo Hoo!! :D :D :) :) :D :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Sarah, that is great news I'm so glad that its working.

WAY TO GO TYLER​

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Good luck with your surgery, I wish you recover fast! :)

I'm glad Tyler is finally eating his food!It's hard when you have to convince fids to eat what is healthy for them but they don't like the taste, I have faced it with Phoebus!I was also doing the same thing, he now eats food fresh and without tricking!Good luck!

Way to go TYLER! :D

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Good luck with your surgery.

I love Peta's 'casserole' idea with the cheez-its. Have you checked the baby food aisle? Gerber's has a Graduates section that I love - you can get 'snack' foods that are healthier, especially for fids that love crackers. Keupi loves the carrot wagon wheels and the sweet potato 'stars.' I also give him the biscuits and zwieback - in fact, with the zwieback I sometimes toast it a little further with some veggies on top.

You may also want to try cereal - like cheerios.

As for veggies, most of my fids have loved veggies but my Fritzy was completely aghast at that sight of them. My mother found these dehydrated ones that I once said looked like weeds. Turned out - he couldn't get enough of them. I eventually could tempt him into eating anything as long as it was covered in 'weeds.' The big joke in my family was that "Grandma was Fritzy's weed supplier."

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D can ya guess that I've tried this with my Grey Guys. :D worked a treat with them too.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yeah thats the truth,

(shhhhh don't tell them but I love it when I can finally get one over on them :D)

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Oh yeah thats the truth,

(shhhhh don't tell them but I love it when I can finally get one over on them :D)

Know nothing - and like I say often... they don't read the books.

However... if we start seeing wacky posts under your name I'll immediately suspect they know your password...:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
No ya got me thinking, I write all my info down for everything, even have a special little book for it I'm gonna be locking that up tight from now on. :18: I never even gave that a thought.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
No ya got me thinking, I write all my info down for everything, even have a special little book for it I'm gonna be locking that up tight from now on. :18: I never even gave that a thought.

Off topic (wow... I'm a member... :p).. but it's important to track it all (and share.. share). Release to us humans locked in fid-dom....

Though, true story... once I caught Keupi chewing up my cordless remote telephone buttons. It was my fault as I left it there in his reach without thinking while I ran to look up something for a friend. Well, by the time I discovered his new found, um, toy... where most of the buttons were chewed off... it was sensitive enough that he was only two 'punches' away from calling Oman (via the country code).

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
No ya got me thinking, I write all my info down for everything, even have a special little book for it I'm gonna be locking that up tight from now on. I never even gave that a thought.

However... if we start seeing wacky posts under your name I'll immediately suspect they know your password...

:18::18::18::18::18::18: That's way too funny!

(shhhhh don't tell them but I love it when I can finally get one over on them )
:33:
We are good friends with Bucc and we don't keep secrets from each other!
So I may open my mouth....:D

Most Reactions

Latest posts