Non-weaned conure??

DLL

Apr 3, 2015
I got my first GCC a few days ago. The problem is im not sure if hes completely weaned? Hes just over 8 weeks old, and supposedly has been completely weaned for a week now. The thing is i can feel his breast bone quite easy (I have no idea whats its supposed to feel like, (first bird) ). From what i can tell he will heat sunflower seeds and a few other seeds. The pellets he will grind up but i don't know if hes actually swallowing. As soon as i come in sight he gets all hyped up, im not sure if this is because he wants out or if hes hungry :confused: (I do know though he loves to come out of the cage)

OP
D

DLL

Apr 3, 2015
Also if it helps i weighed him and hes 55 grams (Give or take 5 grams) I will re-weigh him to night with a different scale to get a more accurate weight

OP
D

DLL

Apr 3, 2015
Dont know if it matters but he can fly (Some of the feathers are cut) So the best i have seen him do is 6-8 feet

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Is he crying and doing baby begging ?Sometimes birds regress when they get to their new home. Keep offering millet and soft foods and keep an eye on him like your doing . Nows the time to get him turned onto vegs [try chop mixes].If he doesn't eat enough you may have to handfeed [till refuses]. That's something to be very careful with [you can hurt them]. Google it ,watch it on u tube . Bevery careful of the temp.

OP
D

DLL

Apr 3, 2015
Quick question, What if i added a bit of water to a few pellets to make them softer and maybe a bit more edible?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
You can try

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You could also run some veggies and fruit through a food processor to make kind of a mush and offer that to him. You could heat it just a little and offer in a dish.

OP
D

DLL

Apr 3, 2015
Hes not eating much at all now. Doesn't even like millet!! Only thing he will somewhat eat is sunflower seeds and a few more seeds here and there. Even made up some formula using a cockatiel recipe i found online. Nothing, wouldn't take it. After tasting a new type of food he will start flapping his wings and then rub his beak/face on anything and everything like a mad bird.

I just noticed the urine is also bit yellow, so i think im going to take him in tomorrow to the vet. But any opinions on what up would be great.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I got my guy to eat his food when I first brought him home by making a mush of sweet potato and a few other fruits/veg and added some strawberry banana baby food.

Most Reactions

Latest posts