Not good news for Num Num

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'm so sorry there's not a better outlook for little Num Num! What a brave little bloke he is, just ploughing on into his life and setting about solving this problem! Years ago, some fine example of Australianness shot the upper bill off a Pelican. The poor thing was found flopping around Lake Macquarie in an emaciated condition, still trying to fish for itself. A local vet worked with the engineering department over at the Uni and they made a fibreglass prosthetic bill for the Pelican. He was kept in captivity for one year, but the prosthetic bill proved so good, he was able to be released. I haven't heard anything further about the bird, so I guess he's done well.

I think the crushing force required by a parrot to break seeds and crush its pellets is probably too great to support a wired or plated-on prosthesis. Still, it never hurts to ask and there might be something that could be done for Num Num. Please give him a kiss from Aunty Trish in Australia and squawks from her flock! :)

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Poor Num Num, I'm so sorry that the news is discouraging. But it's so good to hear that he's eating and gaining weight. He's so beautiful. Num Num looks just like my beloved Pikachu who died last spring. Num Num is a resilient little guy. He will adapt.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You should goggle Dr Scott McDonald, he's done alot with beaks. i'm sure his website has contact info. If not PM me i have his email somewhere.You should sent him info and pics and maybe your vet's contact info. He's about the best at this sort of thing.

I agree about contacting him! He's a pretty nice guy! He comes to our bird fair twice a year doing beak and nail trim. Also surgically sexing. I just don't like it that he puts them down while doing so....Hence I don't bring my birds there to have those things done....But he is very well known and he does a good job.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Parrots have had prosthetic beaks, so it's not like it's impossible to do...

The Zen Parrot: Of Parrots, Politics, and Coffee: Work in Progress: Prosthetic Beaks in Parrots
Midwest Avian Adoption & Rescue Services, Inc. (MAARS) - Bird adoption, sanctuary, rescue, and care education services for parrots and other captive exotic 'pet' birds. News and Events - BORN TO BE WILD: Second Annual MAARS Benefit Silent Auction and

I think what's even more interesting is the fact that even bald eagles have gotten prosthetic beaks!

3ders.org - Injured bald eagle Beauty gets bionic beak | 3D Printing news

The issue with a prosthetic though is the possibility for it to fall off every 4-6 months if you don't make it a permanent thing.... which means that in order for it to remain 'as is', without falling off, the beak would have to not grow back at all.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
So sorry to hear the not so good news for Num Num. I'm still pulling for him and hope in all works out in the end. At least he is healthy and doing well right now. He will be in my thoughts and prayers that things get better with his beak!

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Awww, I'm sorry to hear this news :( As others have said, he seems like a strong little guy, he's eating so that's a plus, and things could still get better...don't lose hope, fingers crossed for him!

Most Reactions

Latest posts