Not sure if this is safe or not...

bkoklu001

Feb 2, 2022
I just got my new cockatiel and he hasn't been doing much, but just now he started chewing on this toy that I bought for him.
1644839906739.png

He bit a little bit of it off and is chewing on it (completely normal behavior from what I've read) but I'm not sure if it's 100% safe for him to ingest. (I know I should've researched more about it)
It seems like it's made out of fibrous... wood? The thing he's chewing does seem to be at least some sort of organic material. Do you think it's safe to ingest?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I just got my new cockatiel and he hasn't been doing much, but just now he started chewing on this toy that I bought for him.
View attachment 35774
He bit a little bit of it off and is chewing on it (completely normal behavior from what I've read) but I'm not sure if it's 100% safe for him to ingest. (I know I should've researched more about it)
It seems like it's made out of fibrous... wood? The thing he's chewing does seem to be at least some sort of organic material. Do you think it's safe to ingest?
Hi. The bell doesn't seem that safe so I suggest removing it. Why? Birds can get their beaks caught in bells, and this bell seems to be coated in some sort of material, most likely a type of paint(definitely not safe!)

As for the chewy part, it looks like corn husk! Corn husk it very safe for them as it is very digestible.

There is plastic rings which I recommend keeping an eye on. For most cockatiels it should be fine, as long as they don't excessively chew it.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yup, corn husk. Super common material for toys. Safe, soft and easily shredded, plus, makes crunchy noises when they chew on it for added fun. I think there's a definite difference between chewing and ingesting. Chewing is a basic instinct and serves a purpose for them. You'll likely find that most or all of the chewed toy material will end up in tiny pieces at the bottom of the cage. :) Not to say that they won't ingest ANY of it, but it's usually very minimal in my experience. I agree about the bell. I'd toss it right out ASAP.

OP
B

bkoklu001

Feb 2, 2022
Thanks for the responses. It seemed like something digestible, but I just wanted to double check. I will remove the bell as soon as Iโ€™m home.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If you must have a bell, verify it is stainless steel and remove the "clapper," often leaded and source of potential tongue "pinching" during attempted separation.

Most Reactions