Not sure what to do

Bradmtx34

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2026
Messages
38
Reaction score
41
So today I made it to PetSmart to make a pickup for cage cleaning supplies I had ordered while on sale. As I passed the registers on the way in I noticed a beautiful bird in a cage. I mentioned in passing it was a beautiful bird and the apparent owner asked me what I knew about birds. I mentioned that I had two conures. She then told me that she was here buying stuff for this bird that just flew into her garage this morning. Before I could say anything she asked if I wanted the bird. I was hesitant but, she made it clear that she knew nothing of birds and I could tell because half the items she was getting was not correctly sized for the bird. It didn't seem as if the employees were of any help. Before I knew it I left the store with cleaning supplies and a new lovebird. My wife swears that I went to the store to get a bird because I was not upfront as to where I was heading for the day.

Quick research shows that it is a fischer's lovebird, age and sex unknown. I put it in its own quarantine cage but my two girls were very curious as to what was in that cage.

I did supply it with a mixture of pellets and seeds and fresh water and the little Lovejoy was quick to gobble up the food. Tomorrow morning I'll be giving it some fresh veggie mash along with pellets.

I never got any information from the lady but I assumed that she must have lived somewhere around the area she found the bird. Since it's Sunday I am unable to contact both the local vets around here but I will do so on Monday.

Any other suggestions?
 

Attachments

  • IMG20261010170640.webp
    IMG20261010170640.webp
    137 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20261010170639.webp
    IMG20261010170639.webp
    153.9 KB · Views: 1
If you're on Facebook, there's a fella named 'Webb Dan' who breeds Fischer's lovebirds. He might be able to give you species-specific information.
 
That’s very sweet of you to take in this homeless little bird! What a pretty lovebird. In addition to the vets, It would probably be good to reach out to local humane society/ animal control, maybe even police just to make sure no one is looking for this bird. Definitely keep it quarantined for now ( as you are already doing) and make sure it’s in a not busy place in the house so it can chill out and hopefully start to feel safe in this new environment. If you don’t find the owner, congratulations on your new bird! ❤️
 
Back
Top Bottom