Status
Not open for further replies.

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
Wow everyone, there are so many great submissions! Here’s one of my favorite photos I took of my youngest son and his “birdy brother” soon after we brought him home in may. We quickly found the two of them learning from each other. Our birdy boy Mummer actually has been learning to speak with our son (he does his voice so well sometimes I can’t tell which one is speaking and have to ask). Our youngest son has a speech delay and has been in therapy for awhile now , and getting him to practice the words the therapist gives him each week has been a challenge but he seems like he is excited to practice speech with Mummer every day. Mummer loves to hang out on his stand and the two of them talk back and forth. I had seen videos about people growing up with parrots from a young age and how they learn from each other but seeing it for myself has been an amazing thing to witness.

Attachments

• E3AF862A-BC88-4D55-A990-6AFD3C8DF856.jpeg
    E3AF862A-BC88-4D55-A990-6AFD3C8DF856.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 333

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Wow everyone, there are so many great submissions! Here’s one of my favorite photos I took of my youngest son and his “birdy brother” soon after we brought him home in may. We quickly found the two of them learning from each other. Our birdy boy Mummer actually has been learning to speak with our son (he does his voice so well sometimes I can’t tell which one is speaking and have to ask). Our youngest son has a speech delay and has been in therapy for awhile now , and getting him to practice the words the therapist gives him each week has been a challenge but he seems like he is excited to practice speech with Mummer every day. Mummer loves to hang out on his stand and the two of them talk back and forth. I had seen videos about people growing up with parrots from a young age and how they learn from each other but seeing it for myself has been an amazing thing to witness.
What an incredible bond...thanks for the entry! Always love seeing kids interacting with animals properly!

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Here’s a just for fun submission of a short video I put together recently of Mummers first few months with us and to mark the occasion when he finally got down flying over to land on my arm (he does it now perfectly). I was hesitant to share much online and it took some of my family in Canada to convince me to do a YouTube channel since it was easier to send them a link (they are on an island so internet isn’t the best for sending videos). Lol I haven’t had much time to put my degree in graphic design to use these last few years so quick short edits are good practice.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Well, alrighty, here is my entry for the
Constant Companions POTM Contest.

I think these were some of our last days in New Mexico, mid-1990s.
The Rickeybird used to love to ride around on my shoulder as we drove to friends' houses, Renaissance Fairs, pet shops. Looking back... how reckless! Gah! That's how we rolled.
Then we moved to Ohio, and a lot of things changed. I became a lot smarter, and more careful.
And I found the Forums...
But the Rickeybird and I are still...
Constant Companions.

1McYlkO.jpg
I love this picture so much, all the history you two have together is so wonderful.
I also agree that you have not aged a bit, could you share you secret please? :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
e3af862a-bc88-4d55-a990-6afd3c8df856-jpeg.32090

Oh Newfie, this is just the most adorable pic and heartwarming story of companionship. I just adore the idea of those "birdy brothers" practicing their speech between each other - a lifelong bond there for sure. And I love the sheer magnificence of Mummer in flight, just spectacular! Thank you so much for your amazing submission ❤️

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My forever cuddle babies , getting ready for bed but cuddles first! ❤️🧡💛💚💙

View attachment 32094

1636752085442-jpeg.32094

Heee heeeee!!!:D You are so right Jenine, cuddles absolutely do take precedence over ANYTHING else!! Thank you for your entry, and your babies are beautiful! ❤️

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
An old photo of Fela, Jaś, Romek and Angela:
View attachment 31796
This is a photo of two pairs of "constant friends" - one (Jaś & Fela) is together until today, but the second pair unfortunately is a broken bond because of Romek's death two days ago
This is an adorable photo. Budgies do have some of the cutest interactions I’ve seen among birds. Our two are constantly chatting and playing they don’t stop until bedtime. I can watch them all day.

I’m so sorry about Romek. It’s so hard on everyone when that happens. They are mourning still and may come around in time. It took our Drogo weeks to get over his mate passing and start acting like his friendly self.

This is an awesome photo!

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
What an incredible bond...thanks for the entry! Always love seeing kids interacting with animals properly!
Thank you.
We were really nervous about having birds because our youngest son was 2 when we got our first bird babies, but he was very gentle with them and understood not to disturb them. Had he not been we wouldn’t of ever brought an Amazon home. Now my two kids listen to him more than they do me! When Mummer tells them “turn it down!” when the tv is too loud or “go to bed” they do it right away! I appreciate it so much that he tells them so I don’t have to!
Thanks.

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Hi, new to the forum. Here is my official entry: “Turning a 100 piece puzzle into a 5000 piece puzzle”

7b3a0c5c-5691-4e21-b279-2217b4384da2-jpeg.31959
Haha thanks for giving me a good laugh about them turning the 100 piece puzzle into a 5000 piece and it’s a great photo! Also thanks for giving me an idea for what to do with the puzzles around here that are missing too many pieces to do anything with yet I haven’t been able to bring myself to throw out!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
My forever cuddle babies , getting ready for bed but cuddles first! ❤️🧡💛💚💙

View attachment 32094
I love this theme so much, it's heartwarming to see the bond all of you have with your birds!
I'm in love...your green cheeks are the cutest! Beautiful entry, but you make it impossible to vote on a winner! :)

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Thank you.
It’s been very different from what I imagined but in a very good way. It’s really interesting and rewarding to see them growing together. Mummer has a unique bond with everyone in our house. He has a parental bond with me, but the two kids he really is like how they say “bird brother”.

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
This video of Mummer is incredible and the story is so beautiful! The bond between child and parrot is so heart warming…watching this is such a delightful way of starting my day!
Thank you Beak-Beak,
I’m glad you liked the video. I have done a few edits over the years for fun for the kids with the parrots. Just quick little edits for us to watch. I never thought about sharing any of it online until recently when some of my family asked me to. I figured it was okay to share here since we all seem to share a special appreciation for our feathered family and friends.

It’s crazy how our ten year old son was the one who convinced us to get birds to begin with and I was very nervous not knowing how our youngest son would be, but he turned out to be very good with them and gentle. They seem to have helped us all in many ways totally unexpected! Every morning first thing our youngest sondoes when he wakes up is goes over to each of the cages and says “good morning” to each of our birds, and then sits at the table for breakfast where Mummer is usually waiting perched on the back of one of the chairs. They have breakfast together and a chat. Sometimes I think they have their own language because I can’t always understand it all and it doesn’t sound like any language I know of. It truly is amazing watching them grow together and because Mummer was so vocal even when we brought him home at around 6 weeks old, it’s like they are bonding through speech and hitting some milestones together.

Our ten year old son has a very close bond with all of our five parrots. They all listen to him more than anyone else. I have a feeling that with the two I hand fed they have more of parental bond with me so there’s times they test me the same as human children. I am honestly surprised every day how childlike parrots really are. We love all our parrots but Mummer is the one who really does feel more like having another child in the house because he seems to want to be a part of everything and go everywhere.

Thanks for the post.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Blissful narrative of Mummer and your son! Perhaps the most meaningfully interconnected therapy your son will ever receive!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Marty and JJ sharing breakfast

View attachment 32212

dffdb8c7-745c-4718-ba3b-8d049439caf0-png.32212

Truly, enjoying a meal together must be one of the greatest joys that "constant companions" can share! Thank you for this lovely pic of these two new buddies, Tmarshall, it's quite wonderful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions