Nuts!

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
The woman who fostered Simba told me that he gets 3 walnuts a day. I didn't have walnuts but I had almonds. She said 3 or 4 of those. Then yesterday I'm at the pet store, and the manager there, who breeds B&G's said that's way too many nuts. So...now I'm unsure again.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to giving nuts? He's on a pellet diet, with some fruit and veggies (if I can find some veggies that he'll eat) and the occasional treat like a banana chip or 2, a beer and a cigar if I can get one at a good price.

Oops...the beer and cigar are my treats.:D

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Hi Bruce, well I think that too much of anything is bad. Walnuts are pretty large so maybe one a day or so. If you want a really handy treat that is easy to give and actually kinda nut shapped, they do hve nutri-berries for Macaws that would be a perfect treat. I don't give my birds any nuts but they are small species. Another treat I'm a big fan of is avi-cakes.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds fine to me.

Mine get at least that a day.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Mine get quite a good amount of nuts DAILY. They each get 7-8 walnuts, a handful of pinenuts, AND 2 handful of mixed nuts. All nuts are in the shell. The walnuts go into THIS thing: Stainless Steel Foraging Cage Large - FORAGING TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

And the mixed nuts go into these (I switch those around between the big macs):
Four Big Drawers Foraging Box by Creative Foraging - FORAGING TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Foraging Wheel Giant by Creative Foraging - FORAGING TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Pinenuts go into this:
Nature's Instinct Daffy for Taffy - FORAGING TOYS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

My big boys are REALLY active all day, their weight is perfect, and in addition to the nuts they eat a variety of pellets, Goldenfeast mixes, and lots and lots of fruits, veggies, my home cooked mix, and birdy bread. :D

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Hi Bruce, well I think that too much of anything is bad. Walnuts are pretty large so maybe one a day or so. If you want a really handy treat that is easy to give and actually kinda nut shapped, they do hve nutri-berries for Macaws that would be a perfect treat. I don't give my birds any nuts but they are small species. Another treat I'm a big fan of is avi-cakes.

Nuts are good for all species (even small ones) and should be offered as part of the diet. The amount depends on the size of the species.

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

How do they get walnuts out of that? Aren't the nuts bigger than the spaces? Simba has enough of a challenge just getting them open, let alone getting them open when they're inside a cage like that. I'll probably order one anyway. :)

BAHAHAHAH! Oh you'd be surprised at how they get them out. Yes, the nuts are bigger than the spacing on that foraging cage, otherwise they'd fall right through. They use their tongue and beak to maneuver the walnut so it's close to the edge, then crack it, and then they get the pieces out. If the walnuts are in the middle, where they can't reach them, they maneuver the entire foraging cage until the walnuts are close enough to reach. If Simba loves walnuts as much as my guys do, he will get them out, and have fun doing it. :)

Both my foraging cages are packed with big chunks of wood, too, and then I hide the walnuts among the wood on a daily basis. And that's the very first thing they go through when I put them back in their cages.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

How do they get walnuts out of that? Aren't the nuts bigger than the spaces? Simba has enough of a challenge just getting them open, let alone getting them open when they're inside a cage like that. I'll probably order one anyway. :)

I cut mine in half for everyone from the RFM down... My greenwing has absolutely NO PROBLEM cracking a walnut in half. BEHOLD THE FOOD THAT IS ALSO A TOY!!!

They sit there and hold the half of the nut in their foot and scoop the meat out with their beak. (Sometimes they just play with the shells.)

Last edited:
OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
I went ahead and ordered one of the cages and the drawer thing as well. I'll order the wheel when I get a little more cash.

I LOVE this place!!! Such great help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts