odd behavior

justinlm24

Jul 6, 2012
Trenton, OH
Parrots
Eclectus (Jazmine)
African grey Congo (charlie)
Ok so I was holding Charlie today and he was walking all over me, climbing on me and sitting on my shoulder. I noticed that I could hold my hand up like to make a wall in front of him and he would walk up and rub his head and beak against it pretty intensely. If I moved my hand he would follow it and keep doing it. He wasn't biting or trying to bite. He would gently beak me a few times but nothing more. I've tried to do some research on what this means but found nothing. Anyone know what this means or experienced this? I just don't want to do it if it's an aggressive behavior and reinforce it. he is still only 7 weeks old so I don't want to teach or allow something I shouldn't. Ideas??

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I think birds just like rubbing their heads/beaks against things! Both my conures do it!

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
cooper does it too. i think its pretty normal. he does it on people, and perchs.

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Oh man, that's ALL my caique does.... He rubs his beak on everything. He likes when I scratch his beak lightly with my fingernails too. It probably just feels good to him. :) It's a part of them that is hard to itch with their little feet. Probably like trying to itch your own back against a wall or something. Not quite the same as having someone do it for you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts