onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
My husband took Ona out into our sunroom which she often loves to do and a neighbor started up a chainsaw. She spooked and flew into two of the windows, hard. Now she appears to be in shock. For the first few mins she wouldn't grip anything with her feet, was squinting, and panting. She is not bleeding, no discharge anywhere, and will let us touch her. We were holding her but she tried to take off and panic flew into a wall so now she is sitting in her sleep cage with a sheet over it so she can calm down and rest.

She is perching and no longer panting but her head is drooping downwards.

Ugh, my poor baby. I hope she recovers from this soon....

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh no, @onamom, that's awful! Jem did that a while ago, when one of our curtain rod brackets failed and the whole thing fell down, they all went into a panic and Jem hit the exposed window a few times. Thankfully he was ok but it sounds like Ona hit that window much harder. Sending all prayers and best wishes to you and Ona, I hope she will be ok!! 🙏🙏🙏

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I even have window decals stuck to all the glass out there. It wasn't enough when she got startled. Not sure how to keep her more safe out there. She really does love going out in the sunroom.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
She is back to normal now. Thank goodness.
Thank goodness for that!! Maybe you could pop some sheer net curtains up on your windows? I've got them up in my sunroom here - it doesn't *guarantee* that there are no collisions, Lovejoy has still hit a window a few times despite them being there, but it does mean he slows down a lot and the impact is minimal. Give your sweet girl a big kiss for me won't you please? And I'm sending a big hug for you and your hubby too, @onamom, you've had a rough day!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Thank goodness for that!! Maybe you could pop some sheer net curtains up on your windows? I've got them up in my sunroom here - it doesn't *guarantee* that there are no collisions, Lovejoy has still hit a window a few times despite them being there, but it does mean he slows down a lot and the impact is minimal. Give your sweet girl a big kiss for me won't you please? And I'm sending a big hug for you and your hubby too, @onamom, you've had a rough day!
Thank you. So stressful to see them like that. She has been extra extra cuddly and took a little nap on my hand. She’s definitely in sweet cuddle wanting comfort mode but she’s ok.

Interesting thought on the curtains I’ll have to think about that.

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
My husband took Ona out into our sunroom which she often loves to do and a neighbor started up a chainsaw. She spooked and flew into two of the windows, hard. Now she appears to be in shock. For the first few mins she wouldn't grip anything with her feet, was squinting, and panting. She is not bleeding, no discharge anywhere, and will let us touch her. We were holding her but she tried to take off and panic flew into a wall so now she is sitting in her sleep cage with a sheet over it so she can calm down and rest.

She is perching and no longer panting but her head is drooping downwards.

Ugh, my poor baby. I hope she recovers from this soon....
Hello dear I hope your parrot gets better soon, I had the same situation 2 maybe 3 weeks prior, where some little kids tried to grab my conure inside his cage and he flew off straight to the wall and while the kids was chasing him he flew again and hit another wall, this happened in my shop and I saw what happened in cctv because I was bot there, when I got back and tried to handle him in my finger he flew directly to my chest he was afraid of hands for 2 weeks maybe also after crashing he had a bump in his head and became very quite, for 1 week I took him
With me where ever i went because I wanted to support him through the trauma. I became so sad about this but thank God now he is already and back to his old self, so dont worry just take care of him and keep him close.
Peace ✌🏻

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
How is Ona today??
She is great. Perfectly normal and fine! Thank you for asking.

Interestingly, my husband used one of those text-a-vet services after the incident yesterday and she said that GCC are susceptible to shock trauma response. I have never heard that before. But I could believe it because this is the second time I've seen her go into a shocked state. The first time was when she fell from her shower perch a long time ago.

She won't be going in the sunroom until the neighbors are done doing construction :( She really does love going out there and "purs" and asks to go out there often.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts