Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
hello parronts, I cant really process whatever is happening cuz it all happened so quickly. Luna got stunned or shocked by something, flew in all directions, crashed a few times, got blood on the window, ceiling and such. Now her Eye is bulging out. She's bleeding. She's stunned, shocked, confused. I think this may be our last day with her, and most of this is probably my fault as i kept her with snowii, who may be at fault. But I must know actions that i must take rn, please reply as soon as you see this.

thank you.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
You should get her to veterinarian ASAP! She may live, though not really possible if what you typed is true. I am very sad about Luna. What do you want to ask specifically? Try to calm her and the others. Budgies are strong! They could surprise you!

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hello

I am sorry this happened, please keep calm, budgies are stronger than they look like.

Check if there is still bleeding somewhere in LunaĀ“s body. If the bleeding stopped, let her rest alone in the smallest cage you have. You donĀ“t want her to fly in panic all over a big cage and starts bleeding again.

Try to get her to a veterinary immediately after you stabilized Luna.

Good luck

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
As others have said, emergency vet care is important if Luna is actively bleeding. Check for vets who see exotics with emergency hours. If you give us the nearest city to you we can maybe help search for an emergency clinic?

Whether she's actively bleeding or not I would recommend putting her in a carrier (just one perch, no room to fly or be too active and irritate the injury) and try to keep her in a very warm area. If she isn't actively bleeding, just give her some time to rest, make sure she has clean water and food. If she's actively bleeding you really need to hurry and find a vet!

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
As others have said, emergency vet care is important if Luna is actively bleeding. Check for vets who see exotics with emergency hours. If you give us the nearest city to you we can maybe help search for an emergency clinic?

Whether she's actively bleeding or not I would recommend putting her in a carrier (just one perch, no room to fly or be too active and irritate the injury) and try to keep her in a very warm area. If she isn't actively bleeding, just give her some time to rest, make sure she has clean water and food. If she's actively bleeding you really need to hurry and find a vet!
Thankfully, she isn't actively bleeding. She's now in a small cage with a humidifier in the same room her mate is. I'm afraid she has went blind in her left eye, i think she won't be able to see with it for the rest of her life.. I've seen my cousin's budgie have the same eye damage, and he's still thriving. I hope the same will be for luna. she seems to have calmed down and is napping currently. We don't have any vet that expertizes in avian health, so I think we'll do a little research first. Thank you so much for this reply.
will she be okay with being one-eyed? What should I do now that she's one-eyed?

thank you again.

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
You should get her to veterinarian ASAP! She may live, though not really possible if what you typed is true. I am very sad about Luna. What do you want to ask specifically? Try to calm her and the others. Budgies are strong! They could surprise you!
I don't really find any vets that are avian experienced.. What do I do?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Look up exotics vet. While they may know barely anything about birds, they could euthanize your bird if sheā€™s in a lot of pain or give painkillers if they think sheā€™ll live.

Last edited:

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Are you comfortable sharing the nearest city to your home? I can try to see what I can find online to see if there might be a nearby vet you don't know about. Of course, I'd be using the very same Google you're using (lol) so no pressure.

As far as blindness goes, your baby will adapt. Animals a generally very adaptable to disabilities. She will become used to her new normal very quickly, and I promise she won't despair over her lost vision! The only thing I would say is it wouldn't hurt, if you can find someone who's done it before (don't do it yourself), to trim one or two flight feathers slightly to slow her down as she's getting used to being half blind. Vet techs at avian vets usually can do this, some pet stores offer the service but idk how willing they'd be about doing a partial clip, and I wouldn't do a full clip. You don't want her running into things at full speed. Depending on how it goes, you will probably only need to
do the partial clip once. She'll learn to be more careful on her own.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Also, just a quick story to maybe calm your nerves.

My dove, Gorou, is accident prone. He broke his keel bone at some point before I adopted him--actually, my vet once took an x-ray and told me she saw something like 17 healed fractures and breaks! Idk what his life was like before me but I can say for certain that he's clumsy.

One day, I left the cage open while cleaning his water dish and he decided to fly. His angle of takeoff must have been bad, because when I came back with his clean water, I saw him smash into the wall once, then twice, then flutter awkwardly to the ground and hit the opposite wall one more time. There was blood on the walls and coming from his eye.

I freaked out. I took him to the vet. Although they gave me pain killers and administered fluids, it looked dire, they told me he probably wouldn't make it. That was four years ago and he's an old man now, perfectly happy and nesting with his mate.

He has some issues from it--scissorbeak caused by the accident, one blind eye with chronic conjunctivitis, and a weird issue with his sinuses swelling. But he's happy as a clam.

If we can find you a vet, those fluids and doses of painkiller probably went a long way in helping him recover and keeping him comfortable... but life can be remarkably durable.

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Also, just a quick story to maybe calm your nerves.

My dove, Gorou, is accident prone. He broke his keel bone at some point before I adopted him--actually, my vet once took an x-ray and told me she saw something like 17 healed fractures and breaks! Idk what his life was like before me but I can say for certain that he's clumsy.

One day, I left the cage open while cleaning his water dish and he decided to fly. His angle of takeoff must have been bad, because when I came back with his clean water, I saw him smash into the wall once, then twice, then flutter awkwardly to the ground and hit the opposite wall one more time. There was blood on the walls and coming from his eye.

I freaked out. I took him to the vet. Although they gave me pain killers and administered fluids, it looked dire, they told me he probably wouldn't make it. That was four years ago and he's an old man now, perfectly happy and nesting with his mate.

He has some issues from it--scissorbeak caused by the accident, one blind eye with chronic conjunctivitis, and a weird issue with his sinuses swelling. But he's happy as a clam.

If we can find you a vet, those fluids and doses of painkiller probably went a long way in helping him recover and keeping him comfortable... but life can be remarkably durable.
This gives me a lot of hope.. I hope she gets through this..

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Are you comfortable sharing the nearest city to your home? I can try to see what I can find online to see if there might be a nearby vet you don't know about. Of course, I'd be using the very same Google you're using (lol) so no pressure.

As far as blindness goes, your baby will adapt. Animals a generally very adaptable to disabilities. She will become used to her new normal very quickly, and I promise she won't despair over her lost vision! The only thing I would say is it wouldn't hurt, if you can find someone who's done it before (don't do it yourself), to trim one or two flight feathers slightly to slow her down as she's getting used to being half blind. Vet techs at avian vets usually can do this, some pet stores offer the service but idk how willing they'd be about doing a partial clip, and I wouldn't do a full clip. You don't want her running into things at full speed. Depending on how it goes, you will probably only need to
do the partial clip once. She'll learn to be more careful on her own.
I live in UAE, abudhabi, Khalidiyah city. But now I am very worried again as she isn't eating or drinking, But her mate had fed her some minutes ago, then left her. I am really concerned, She's all dehydrated, and her eye that bulges doesn't really seem to pain for her much. She just preened herself, walked around slightly. But she still isn't eating or drinking since I've been watching her this whole time.. Do i forcefeed her?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
I'm less worried about her not eating, much more worried about her not drinking. I would offer some fresh, high value food with high water content. Lettuce, fruit, things like that... anything you know she likes that she'll think is a treat. If she's in a lot of pain she might not even want to eat her favorite food but it's worth trying. Also make sure her food and water dishes are at a good height that she doesn't have to bend too much to drink/eat from. Don't force feed though.

Have you seen this page? I'm going to continue searching but I wonder if it might be hard for me to find things by searching in English?

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hmmmmmmā€¦. In that caseā€¦.
1. Give her a warm environment and water at first.
2. After the shock and she had a good sleep, try giving her some food. Not much though. Donā€™t give it by force since she might choke. If she doesnā€™t eat, leave the food there and observe her for a while if you can.
3. Remember to keep the place kind of dry.
Mostly, I hope you luck for you and Luna! It would be sad if her eye is blind but maybe itā€™s just a temporary thing. Maybe it will recover!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)

Not sure if the above services exotics, but they should be able to administer fluids at least? Maybe give them a call?

EDIT: looks like they service exotics!!!!

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
This is so sad.. Luna ended up Not making through the ride to the vet.. I am crying as I type this, She was in pain and agony, She was such a wholesome bird.. Rest in peace, Luna..
Without luna, the flock is so incomplete, so Melancholy.. Now I only have a duo who dont get along together, not a trio that had so much life.. Luna was so healthy, she was 3 years old.. if only this accident didn't happen, she would live for so much more..
Yuko is and was healthy this whole time, now solitary and along with my female handraised lovebird, snowii. Yuko still is singing And headbobbing, Snowii is happy that her rival is gone. But now they have a super sulking owner who is super sad..
What are some some signs of depression for a parakeet incase Yuko ends up missing her? How do I keep them from getting deep thoughts? And I would also like budget-friendly opinions, as I am still a student dependent on her parents.

Rest in peace, Luna.. You are and will always be very missed..
Thank you for reading.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I am sorry for your loss. I hope you can recover quickly, there is so much we canĀ“t control...

Take care

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am sorry for your loss. Most of the folks on here have lost a treasured bird at some point , so take heart, you are not alone. The pain and sadness will go away, mostly, after awhile. Try to remember the good times and things about Luna and know she is waiting for you and her friends at the end of the Rainbow Bridge.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Oh, @Featherii_Fids, I am so sorry for your lost. I, and most of the parronts here have lost feathered friends in the past. Rest in peace, Luna. Maybe she will meet Bean and Sprout, my feisty male budgies. Iā€™m sure other birbs thatā€¦. Went to another world will welcome her whole-heartedly. I share your pain though I have not met with Luna, Iā€™m sure she was a wonderful little fellow. Ruby says to give her her best wishes.

From, Fluff ( My nickname) and Ruby

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
I'm so sorry. It's very hard to have a pet pass away, and in many ways when the cause is something like an injury it can be hard not to blame ourselves. Please don't blame yourself. You did what you could. You came to the forums for help, you monitored her closely... I'm sure she was comforted by your presence.

As for your other birds, especially her mate: spend lots of time with them. With you showering them with attention, they'll adjust quickly. Occasionally eat your meals or have a snack by their cage so they can eat at the same time as you. Bonus points if it's something you can share, like unseasoned veggies. Sometimes I notice when my birds mourn they lose interest in food.

Most Reactions