One Caique or Two

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
2 Black Headed Caiques - Bunsen & Beaker
My wife and I recently put a deposit down on a male BHC. There was a ton of research involved, and we're really excited. He's 12 weeks old and we visit every day. We're hoping he's weaned soon.

This brings me to my question. His brother has not been sold. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about having multiple Caiques. Most of my research points to the fact that Caiques form multiple bonds and are very social birds. It's one of the reasons we like this breed. If we get 2, will they not bond as strongly to us? Also, what do you guys think the jump in time commitment will be?

My wife wanted to take our bird to her middle school dance class that she teaches every Friday. She's in a unique position where her work doesn't mind, and I think the bird will love the activity. If she only takes one, would the other become angry?

So, is it one Caique or two?

thanks in advance,
Joel

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i dont know about caique's but i have multiple alex's, 3.
i had only planned on the one, my baby oxy that i bought home from the breeder at 11 weeks in october last year then 3 months later we get a call from the breeder as she had given our number to lady who had purchased one of her alex's 3 yrs prior. this lady was looking to rehome her 2 alex's as her and her family were moving inter state and didnt want to put the birds thru the stress. i was a little worried at first that having more would ruin the bind i had just managed to form with oxy and that they wouldnt get along.
Well my bond with oxy grew stronger with the arrival of the new 2 and they all get along swimmingly.

so i think if you have the means, why not get both? you know they get along.
you asked about time commitment. if you both plan on interacting and bonding with the birds the time commitment wont be much difference as whilst one has one the othet has the other etc. not sure about the taking 1 and not the other to dance class (if you got both ) as they will be bonded together aswell and may fret with out each other. although if you can train them and get them used to being apart for the time it would take for the dance class, and the one that is left behind is being interacted with during this time it could work quite well. You can then alternate which one goes each week or even take both :) im sure the kuds would love it.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
2 of course :) Greta was my first caique . We have a great relationship. I got Sammy couple a couple of years after that . Their cages are next to each other [Its cute they mirror what each other does ] Eat at the same time ,play and sleep facing each other [very cute] I like that they keep themselves very entertained.But do like plenty of our attention also. I think its a great idea :)

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I appreciate the response. Would we need 2 cages? The one we have now is 20x25x39 with a dome top. They share a cage now, but obviously they're babies.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I think if they share a cage now its fine [their growing up together] But because I got mine at different times I don't trust it. Just keep an I on them as they grow and mature. Im sure it will be ok . I just want you to be aware.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
100% two Caiques. We have multpile Caiques in the same cage and unlike other parrots (not all - just a generalization) they absolutely still crave interaction with us. When I get home they call out to me and they love to ride around on our shoulders. They preen each other on our shoulders as well as surf and preen us! If you think watching one Caique playing is fun, wait until you see them wrestling around upside hanging from a rope perch for minutes on end! Or even rolling around on the ground. You are depriving yourselves of so much joy without the other Caique.

If you can get the brother, DO NOT HESITATE. Get him before he is taken. Good luck to you and congrats on the first Caique! Hopefully further congratulatory praise will be involved soon :)

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i have my 3 alex's in one cage. as long as the cage is large enough there wont be a problem as they are used to being together. my guys cant wait to come out and play with me and then as soon as the bf gets home from work he gets swammped by birds.... its so funny to see.

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
All the advice is great! Thank you guys for the prompt responses. We've got a decision to make and it certainly helps to know others have successfully had multiple birds. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
I would say either or! My bh caique Onyx lived the first 8 years of her life with a yellow YB female and they loved each other, but onyx was still nice and interactive (the YB was generally mean). Unfortunately the YB had a stroke and did die, but six months later Onyx is thriving.

If you think you might want two in the future though then definitely get two--- they are so cool how they play with each other.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you never seen two caiques wrestle together???? :D I've heard caiques are like potato chips, can't have just one!

If the cage you have now is the only cage you have, then you definitely need two cages. For a single caique I would definitely recommend a larger cage! The size cage you have would be too small for two.

The 32 x 21 flight cages are good for a single caique, or, if you can get one, a 32 x 23 parrot cage would be great for two!

There's also a cage like this which is a *GREAT* deal (although I find it to be butt ugly! I don't like the cage color!)
Petco Designer Mink Brown Standing Parrot Cage - Parrot Bird Cage and Playtop Bird Cage from Petco.com

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
MonicaMc, I wasn't worried about the cage until last week. We've been cramming toys in there and I'm not sure there's room for one bird anymore. We're leaning towards getting two.... I guess it's time to hop over to the cage section of the forum.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Yeah, I would get two cages. Sharing is fine, but what happens when they both hit maturity? Two hormonal males can do a lot of damage, and there's no where for them to get away from each other. That's why I have two cages for my greys, because I don't need missing feathers and in my case, brother-cousin fledglings.

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I was still on the fence until this video happened. My wife has decided on the names Bunsen and Beaker. I'm really excited about getting them home. They're taking FOREVER to wean. At this point, we spend about 10 hours a week at the pet store playing with them.

Thank you guys for all the advice. In case you're wondering, we're looking for a bigger cage. After hearing from everyone and looking at past posts, I think they'll do fine in one cage. We'll keep the other cage around for backup in case something goes awry.

[ame=http://youtu.be/iAJvZQdVhbY]Bunsen & Beaker Surfing - YouTube[/ame]

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Ha Ha I would be getting both TOO!!! SO CUTE . Nice names ,I love my 2 Blk Hd caiques. Its funny you talk about how long it takes to wean. I remember going to visit Greta all the time !! ,and guess what ? I ended up with a Lory and Rosebreasted cockatoo also [with cages] Greta was a expensive wait :)

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Ha Ha I would be getting both TOO!!! SO CUTE . Nice names ,I love my 2 Blk Hd caiques. Its funny you talk about how long it takes to wean. I remember going to visit Greta all the time !! ,and guess what ? I ended up with a Lory and Rosebreasted cockatoo also [with cages] Greta was a expensive wait :)

OMG, we buy something new every time we go in there. Caiques are trouble even before you get them home.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Love the names (although they BOTH tend to act like beaker!!)
Best of luck!! We're thinking about adding another Caique to mess with Scooter, we'll be introducing them Saturday....

Harlow

Mar 27, 2013
NW Phoenix AZ
I adopted my 10 year old White Bellied Caique in March. He came with some less than ideal habits. While I was researching training techniques, I stumbled on something that said they loved the company of their fellow Caiques. I was desperate to make it work with my first, Chase, and stuck my name on a waiting list of a local breeder. Wiley hatched a day shy of two weeks after we brought Chase home, and finally came home almost two weeks ago. We let Wiley settle, but even from across the house Chase KNEW there was another Caique here!

Once Wiley was cleared by the vet and settled in, I introduced the boys. Instant love. It was the most precious thing. They aren't living together (yet) as I'm not 100% ready for that myself, nor do I think they are, but I can tell this was the best decision for us! We love our little troublemakers!

OP
Jowelbg

Jowelbg

Jun 3, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I adopted my 10 year old White Bellied Caique in March. He came with some less than ideal habits. While I was researching training techniques, I stumbled on something that said they loved the company of their fellow Caiques. I was desperate to make it work with my first, Chase, and stuck my name on a waiting list of a local breeder. Wiley hatched a day shy of two weeks after we brought Chase home, and finally came home almost two weeks ago. We let Wiley settle, but even from across the house Chase KNEW there was another Caique here!

Once Wiley was cleared by the vet and settled in, I introduced the boys. Instant love. It was the most precious thing. They aren't living together (yet) as I'm not 100% ready for that myself, nor do I think they are, but I can tell this was the best decision for us! We love our little troublemakers!

Wow! You've got quite a flock. I've heard several stories like this where caiques seem to do better in pairs. Now, if they'd only wean. It's been 15 weeks and my wife has started planning a bird heist.

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
I was still on the fence until this video happened. My wife has decided on the names Bunsen and Beaker. I'm really excited about getting them home. They're taking FOREVER to wean. At this point, we spend about 10 hours a week at the pet store playing with them.

I watch this video at least once a day. Too cute for words! (And I love the names!)
Derek

Most Reactions

Latest posts