Open fires and parrots.

OP
Grenage

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
I've not seen a clean properly drawing fire blow back, but I haven't had too many open fires; it looks like our new place hasa cowl to help avoid it.

I think perhaps we'll air on the safe side for a little while.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I've not seen a clean properly drawing fire blow back, but I haven't had too many open fires; it looks like our new place hasa cowl to help avoid it.

I think perhaps we'll air on the safe side for a little while.

In England much depends on how old your fireplace is! The vast majority had been built to burn 'coal' and some still do. Coal burns at a much higher temperature and creates a much stronger draw. As wood became more common, those fireplaces have been updated with a cowl. Depending on the depth (front to back) and opening height (top to bottom) of the fireplace, those cowls can be any where from 100 mm (4") to over 400 mm (17") on some of the larger ones.

It is always better to move the Parrots far away from the fireplace. The combination of deadly gases, and the heat and danger of the open flame is just not worth chancing it.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Great Question! And, one that will at least hold me in good stead.

There is no question that it is very likely that you are losing expensive heated air up it!

Knowing that you have already done this, lets say that I'm adding this for other member! -First, Clean the burning area and remove all ashes etc.. that maybe in there-.

Inspect the flue for operation and most importantly that it can fully close! Make any adjust that maybe needed to get the flue to fully close. Check the area around the flue for fit to assure that air cannot simply flow around the flue frame. Do not take the flue from its location or move it to a point that it could come lose. If you do, it will require a professional to reset the flue!

If the side walls or any other parts are metal (like the Flue), consider using a shaker can, spray paint to protect the metal from rusting (high-temperature would be preferred, but not required).

At this point, filling the burning chamber with a fiberglass insulation is a good idea. It will reduce heat loss even more and limit 'things' from taking up living in there. Check with friends and family, commonly someone has a half roll sitting around. FYI: REMOVE THE PAPER BACKING!

NOTE: Whatever is sitting in the burning chamber or in front of the Fireplace, which is part of it, place it in the burning chamber. This will allow you to remove the insulation and replace the exterior fireplace components when you elect to sell and move-on. Fireplaces still have value and having the fireplace 'Stuff' will let your take advantage of that value.

Now, finally to your question. At this point, you can place whatever you want in front of that opening! Just make sure that it is fairly easy to remove!

NOTE: It would be wise to check the very top of the chimney to assure that rain cannot easily get in. Nothing worst than getting all your efforts wet because the chimney top failed and allow rain to enter. That may require a professional.

With your tastes, it will look wonderful!

Thanks for the reply! After our experience with a POS gas wall furnace that was probably older than my parents in a prior apartment where we essentially paid to heat the outdoors all winter long, I have no doubt this fireplace will have a very similar effect of loosing heat up the chimney. I'm pretty sure the HOA is on the hook for all the external components of the fireplace and everything around here is well maintained so I'm assuming there won't be issues from the outside. The home inspector said the fireplace was in good working order before we bought the place, so I'm thinking I'll just be certain the flue is closed and put on an insulated cover in front:) Why there would be a wood burning fireplace in a 3rd floor condo is beyond me. It's not like anyone would possibly be using it as a primary heat source. You wouldn't have anywhere to store enough wood!

Most Reactions