our morning wake up call

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
So, Hamlet has a new habit that hopefully will be grown out of very very soon. It used to be that every morning he waited until he heard one of us get up, which was between 7 and 8, then he would squawk good morning until we got him out of his cage. Then he and Mac get to come into bed for some cuddle time beore the day gets moving. Recently Tex had to wake up early for work and so set the alarm early. The birds can't hear his alarm from their room, but its a radio anyways, so the sound won't be imitated thank god. BUT, now every morning at 6:30 (which is the early time for us) Hamlet has decided that he will be our wake up call. He squawks without hearing us moving around at all, telling us its time come and get him and Mac. Tex immediately gets up to get him because he is worried about the sound so early and the neighbors, but I think that is just the reaction to keep this behavior going. I am not a morning person, :16: so conure soup gets threatened every morning. I think heavier curtains for the birds room may be in order. Less sun =a less loud sun conure.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
That's what happened with Iggy for awhile too, waking up on the weekends at like 7 am, when we would normally sleep in till at least 9:30...for awhile, we would just get up and feed him and then nap where he could see us; then we put blinds in his room (the windows previously didn't have anything), and we haven't had a problem since...kinda nice. So, after that very verbose reply, I would say yes, less sunlight in the room would probably work. :)

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Well if a bird needs 12 hours of sleep a day, keep him up late so he will sleep in.
It worx for teenagers.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
"Future Husband Soup"

Tex, you have that all wrong :rolleyes:
Husbands make roasts not soups *sheesh*
:p

I have to say Cricket is really good about the morning time. Usualy she wont say a thing unless I turn on the TV. some times though I get a couple louder type words, but this morning I got nothing loud, except every time I walked pasted the cage I got a "Hello" and I must say she is getting good at that word... she says it is some many diffrent voices
On another note she has learned to say Ma'ma :D but it comes out sounding like a spooky voice from on of them horror pictures :eek:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Tex, you have that all wrong :rolleyes:
Husbands make roasts not soups *sheesh*

:eek: What was I thinking ... you are so right, we do roast better! After you eat the meat, then you use the bones for soup ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep definately darker curtains, I'm up at 6-6.30 each weekday morning, Bucc and Kito used to want to come out then, :eek: Am definately NOT a morning person. Keeping them in a darker place fools them into thinking its still night time. :D

keep him up late so he will sleep in.
It worx for teenagers.
Yep my kids will sleep late everyday if I let them. :D Keep them up a bit later on the weekend and they sleep in. Wonderful. :D

sunconure

Aug 24, 2005
Media
Albums
Cedar Park, TX
Parrots
sun conure girls: Allie & Kira
God I am sooo thankful that both birds are silent untill they hear my mom upstaris talking, or when I am REALLY moving around. Other than that, as long as the cover is on, they know to be quiet.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I must say Skippah just worx in with us.
He and I are usually up till 3 or 4 in the morning, but he sleeps through till when ever it suits him. Quite often he just wants to sit quietly when I want to play.
I find he is just getting playful when i want to go off to bed.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Sisqo and Gigi are very good about being quiet in the morning. Sisqo gets covered, and if he's up and ready for breakfast, then I'll see him peeking out from the bottom of the cage where it's not covered. Whenever I walk out the door for work (at 6:30 am!!) Sisqo always yells 'Bye' and waves. I think it's adorable but my sister isn't too happy whenever it wakes up my niece.

I agree though, darker curtains and try to ignore the behavior. Going to them when they're calling is just reinforcing what you don't want.

OP
Christy

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Ths morning Hamlet did not wake up call :D:D:D He waited until someone was moving around at 7:15 then called to us. I am not quite sure what the difference was...we didn't really do anything, but I am happy about it.
Nicole - leaving your house at 6:30 must be tough!! Do you at least get home early in the afternoon?

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Do you at least get home early in the afternoon?

I get off work at 3, but then I either have to work the other job from 4-11, or go to school from 5-9:30. School is approximately an hour away sooo...I drink a lot of Red Bull :D

That's great news about Hamlet though. Does Mac do the wake up call also?

Last edited:

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
Ok, I saw and heard my first conure today. there was a Nanday at the local pet store that belonged to a staff member.
Unfortunately my husband heard him to. He made it clear, before I could start to go on about all thier womderful aspects, that a conure wont be parading our hallway anytime soon.
Gutted.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Well for once Im not whining.
Skippah is very quiet, unless I leave the room when he doesnt want me to, Then we get the screaming. That is rare. I know I shouldnt complain, but I do wish he would whistle or show some sign that he will be a chatterbox later in life.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots

Snow & Blue-Budgies
The woman that had Gigi also had a sun conure. Wow was it loud! :eek: I almost didn't want to be in the room when it would start shrieking. Just as annoying as a cockatoo (apparently not Skippah, though).

Gigi and Sisqo are such quiet birds, that I really try to encourage them to make a lot of noise. Everytime Sisqo does his flock calls I praise him a lot. Gigi still won't make a noise unless someone's trying to towel her and she quacks.

I think the yells of birds are a lot like the different barks of dogs. Some are just a little easier on the ears

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... sun conure. Wow was it loud! :eek: I almost didn't want to be in the room when it would start shrieking. Just as annoying as a cockatoo (apparently not Skippah, though)...

No way is Hamlet as loud as a cockatoo ... he can be loud, but its not ear piercing like a cockatoo's is ...

OP
Christy

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
I don't know if we have a quiet sun or if we have gotten used to it uncommonly quick, but I really don't find Hamlet that loud when he does call. No where near a cockatoo or big mac. I think part of the reason people think suns are so loud is because they are not expected the loudness from a little bird. and I don't think Mac does call in the morning. He never really does. The only time he gets really loud is when I am vaccuming, blow drying, or like the experiment yesterday, playing him some accustic guitar music. I think he likes being loud when something else is. Also, maybe another reason why he doesn't call to us as much when we leave the room is because he knows he can fly to us if he wants to. Hamlet is stuck for right now, until his wings grow out.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I think the thing here is that everything we read tells us Suns are loud, but just as humans are so different so are birds IMO,

I saw a sun yesterday and he looked so darn cute and then he started calling, boy did he give the caws a run for the money. It was kinda funny seeing this little guy come out with all that noise, maybe it was just a case of me NOT expecting him to come out with a call that loud. I'm going back today so I'll have to have another listen, just to see. :D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Sisqo always yells 'Bye' and waves.

Aww, I want my baby to wave.... I have been trying to train her to do it but every time her foot comes up, and I think she has it, her tow goes right in her mouth... uhh... beak LOL

When the whole family happens to be getting ready for work at the same time (rare but it happens) Cricket will tend to be louder. She gives the wolf whistle when I come out of my bed room and walk but the cage and its at that point my dad claims that my bird must be blind. :11:

Most Reactions

Latest posts