OWA/cockatiel housing…

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
This is mostly a “remind me this is a bad idea post”, to be honest.

I found an A&E 5ftx7ft aviary cage on sale for $1400 and I keep thinking how awesome it would be to have that in my office instead of their two, large separate cages. However, I also know it’s a really bad idea to mix species like this, even if they seem to get along great while hanging out together.

I remember someone here (was it Amy???) has an Amazon who has bonded to a cockatiel. Save me from myself and my remodel ideas! I’ve always wanted an aviary style cage so they’ve got oodles of room but I keep telling myself that if something bad happened I’d never forgive myself (sadly, the aviary won’t fit inside along with their massive cages XP)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Do NOT take the risk! NEVER keep two birds of two different sizes together! i'll be getting another budgie, and I already have two, but I still am not going to try housing them together, even though they are the same species. So...I would NOT do this.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
If the birds are both able to fly.
And if they are neutral with each other it might work.
but that might means it might NOT also.

I have Amazons and Cockatiels but I would not trust any of the Amazons in the same cage. I don’t usually even let them out of the cage at the same time. Merlin has a tendency to harass (fly close to and scream at) any other species of bird.

My African Grey appears to get along with the Tiels better than any of my Amazons.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
This is mostly a “remind me this is a bad idea post”, to be honest.

I found an A&E 5ftx7ft aviary cage on sale for $1400 and I keep thinking how awesome it would be to have that in my office instead of their two, large separate cages. However, I also know it’s a really bad idea to mix species like this, even if they seem to get along great while hanging out together.

I remember someone here (was it Amy???) has an Amazon who has bonded to a cockatiel. Save me from myself and my remodel ideas! I’ve always wanted an aviary style cage so they’ve got oodles of room but I keep telling myself that if something bad happened I’d never forgive myself (sadly, the aviary won’t fit inside along with their massive cages XP)
Yep it was AMY...Even though both Amy and BB get along good,and after nearly 6 years of them knowing each other,I'd NEVER let them live together. I know Amy wouldn't harm a feather on BB's head,but I just wouldn't chance it.

Jim

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thanks all. Can’t say I’m mad that you saved me $1400 either!

Most Reactions

Latest posts