Painting a Finch Cage

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
I’ve got an old cage, no rust, just old and has a hideous blue color that I’d like to paint a copper color or just black. I was wondering if I could use a rustoleum outdoor paint on the plastic tray and the top of the cage? I’ll be housing a pair of finches in the cage so they shouldn’t be chewing on the cage bars. I know not to use this kind of paint on parrot cages, but I wasn’t sure if it’d be okay for finches?

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
I’m going to do it.
I’ll let it off gas, then cover it in enamel, and then let that cure, and then add birds

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your best bet is to just deal with the color and proceed with a good cleaning.
Enamel is a great product, but requires very specific preparation that the vast major of individuals do not know or would not follow anyway. There is no assurance that it will not peel and chip all by itself.

They are your Birds, do as you please.
FYI: Copper would not be a good choice.

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Your best bet is to just deal with the color and proceed with a good cleaning.
Enamel is a great product, but requires very specific preparation that the vast major of individuals do not know or would not follow anyway. There is no assurance that it will not peel and chip all by itself.

They are your Birds, do as you please.
FYI: Copper would not be a good choice.
Copper would only be the outside of the plastic tray and the bottom part of the cage, and it’s not real :)

Most Reactions