Parrot Cages

Tyson09

Mar 24, 2021
Hi All

I wanted to ask a question. I am wanting to build my Illegers Maccaw an outside cage. Can i use treated timeber that one would by at the hardware, or would i need to treat it with something else as well?

Kind Regards
Tyson Brinkley

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Treated lumber is toxic in chewed upon and parrots chew. You also need to look out for wires containing zinc. If you are in the US- unless it is stainless, you need to be cautious (especially if something is "galvanized" and you don't know the contents. NOTE: Apparently, in Australia, hardware stores are way more specific about listing contents of metals than they are in the US (based on a conversation I had with an Australian member of the forum). Not sure where you are located, but thought I'd add that (just in case)

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
You can buy some really large aviaries online but I was just browsing them and something I would strongly caution against would be anything that has a roof like this--- This cage below is FAR too dark due to that roof. You don't want to create one big nest lol. (SEE problematic example of shadowy aviary below--- great size, but questionable materials and way too dark)

fcf0d382320be5cc5141c9c1cc3aac7b.jpg

appropriate gauge wire and bar-spacing= very important considerations as well

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Outside Aviaries are commonly much more than building a rectangle outside. As stated above Treated wood is topic, Fencing is commonly galvanized (zinc treated) and Zinc is a heavy metal and dangerous for Parrots.

In North America, it is not uncommon for there to be Building Codes and a Building Permit is commonly required.

Since it rains most everywhere in North America and clean-up is most always easier with water, plus evening /early morning lighting is very help full. Both require under ground wiring and piping.

Concrete floor easies cleaning and keeps digging pests away.

In addition, Birds of Prey are rapidly expanding in all sectors and as a result the structure needs to halt the hit by a bird of size.

There are Powder Coated enclosure that appear to be much like an upsized Bird Cage. Which commonly brings up the question of access. This area commonly require a double door system that has a space between the inside of the structure and the great-outdoors.

As you can see, there is much to be considered when building outside.

FYI: At some point, you will forget and the Parrot has been left in the enclosure overnight!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You can buy some really large aviaries online but I was just browsing them and something I would strongly caution against would be anything that has a roof like this--- This cage below is FAR too dark due to that roof. You don't want to create one big nest lol. (SEE problematic example of shadowy aviary below--- great size, but questionable materials and way too dark)

Do you really see the roof as a problem?
Depending on the area in question maybe they would be in direct sun and without the roof would have no shade available.

I guess they could cover just one corner wit a tarp for shade.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I believe the concern is the color. Even in the Great White North, we get rare days of full sunshine and a dark color 'roof' would drive-up temperature to a very high level.

Lighter colors are also easier to keep clean.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Do you really see the roof as a problem?
Depending on the area in question maybe they would be in direct sun and without the roof would have no shade available.

I guess they could cover just one corner wit a tarp for shade.

Yup- I absolutely do. It is super shady and shadowy and a tarp will also create that effect (I'm not denying the need for some shade, but it should be dappled and spotty). Trrees etc should provide that-- not solid sheets of metal or fabric. Also- I don't think they should be housed outside all of the time unless you have a really good setup and excellent avian veterinary care (due to disease risk etc). You shouldn't need a super sun-block if you are supervising and providing a few places where the sun doesn't hit directly.
This thing (while great in terms of size) is worse than those dang indoor cages with the covered tops-- they need to be uncovered. This is like a cavity-seeker's nesting dream because it is huge and far too shaded. I know it seems totally silly, but I am pretty confident in what I am saying .

This is why partial covering of indoor birds is so bad-- same with snuggle huts etc. They are major triggers and alter hormones/behavior.

Non-nesting parrots in the wild would be very unlikely to encounter such a shadowy space in the day time (and while they love them it is related to nesting behavior and instincts which are often harmful in captivity).

Just look at the blackness under that roof-- if they climb into the top, it will be like night and even far less intense shadows can trigger breeding responses. Humans get seasonal depression and we aren't even remotely as dependent as parrots upon light in terms of hormones etc.

Last edited:

Most Reactions