Parrot Injured

thawkb

Feb 21, 2021
Today my 3 month old parrot was on my shoulder as I had removed him from the cage and he crawled up on my shoulder. My wife and I were both standing by each other and he decided to take off flying. He flew high and into a wall/ceiling from there he fell onto the top of a television and then fell the remainder of the distance to the floor. I run over to him and he was very unstable and acting strange. I picked him up and put him on a table and he couldn't stand or anything. It has been 3 hours at least and he doesn't move or stand. He is just laying down and occasionally cries especially if my wife tries to see if she can see where he is injured. We cannot get into a Vet until tomorrow late morning. We are very concerned about him. I hope if he has a broken foot he can be saved. Internal injuries I don't know. We are really devastated at this point. Even though this particular bird has only been with us 3 weeks we love him dearly and don't want to lose him. If anyone has any similar situations or comfort it would be appreciated. 3 month old Amazon parrot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
put him in his cage with towels on the bottom and roll towels to support him properly uo a little.
If he has a head injury and swelling, it can take time to recover. Of course seeing a vet as soon as possible. Keep him quiet and nit stressed.

Warmth helps. Turn your heat up a little. I have a radiant heat panel for birds, a good thing to have on hand.

I take it his wings are clipped? Or he us just learning to fly? As a flighted burd who has been introduced to the house will not fly into anything even when spooked.

OP
T

thawkb

Feb 21, 2021
He is just learning to fly. We wanted he learned to fly before we made the decision to clip his wings or not. He is 3 months old and just started flying like a week ago.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
when he recovered. Take him into a carpeted bedroom, and let him practice abd land in tge bed. Cushions everywhere.

Has he perked up yet? I'm praying for you

Most Reactions

Latest posts