Parrot only eats when I'm in the room

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Toby the Eclectus doesn't eat much if I am not in the room. For instance, yesterday, I had errands and yard work to do and he ate zero pellets during the day and just a little chop in the evening when I was in the next room. Today, he would only start eating if I came into the room and sat down for a long while. This is not a one-off, it is his MO.

Does anyone else's bird do the same? Any thoughts on how to get a bird to eat on his own?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I do think Ona sometimes does this. I do notice that often when I come home from being away, I take her out of her cage and she will sometimes go to her play stand and start scarfing pellets down.

I donā€™t have much advice other than making sure you have some good foraging areas in the cage with favorite treats. That way they are eating something and staying distracted when youā€™re away.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I do think Ona sometimes does this. I do notice that often when I come home from being away, I take her out of her cage and she will sometimes go to her play stand and start scarfing pellets down.

I donā€™t have much advice other than making sure you have some good foraging areas in the cage with favorite treats. That way they are eating something and staying distracted when youā€™re away.
Eating is a very social activity for my budgie Rocky. She always wants to eat when we eat and what we are eating. She does eat when we aren't home but not with the same enthusiasm.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)