Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
I have one question regarding foods.
Are tomatoes safe or not safe for our birds?

I've looked though various sources and I'm getting mixed answers. Some say they're safe, others say to avoid them.
In a cockateil care book I've read through tomatoes are on both the safe and not safe list! (Contradicting information in the same source)

Can anyone clear it up and give a definitive answer?

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I have also heard conflicting information. From what I have found, tomatoes and citris are "safe" for our birds in that they are not poisonous. However they are very acidic and too much can be unhealthy for the bird. Hence, the conflicting information. They are safe AND should be avoided as there are better options.

Savi

Feb 15, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Parrots
Ravi (Orange-winged Amazon)
Silvana (Yellow-shouldered Amazon)
THANK YOU PARROTQUEEN FOR THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

I pulled up some links to help some newbies out there who are looking into parrot owning, and those who already own a parrot and want to ensure the best and safest life for their bird.

The list of safe woods, to be used for perches or toys: Wood / Trees / Bushes Considered Safe for Birds

The list of safe spices: Aloe, Alfalfa, Ginger, Garlic (in moderation), Dandelion, Chamomile, and Cayenne.

The list of safe fruits:

Apples (cored), Papaya (birds love Papaya Seeds), Mango (pitted), Oranges (seeded), Cantaloupe (Cantaloupe seeds are thoroughly enjoyed by our flock), Melon, Star Fruit, Pineapple, Pomegranate, Berries (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, Gooseberries), Pears (cored), Peaches (pitted), Plums (pitted), Kiwi (peeled), Banana (peeled), Cherries (pitted), Cranberries, Grapefruit (seeded), Tangerines (seeded), Cactus Pear (peeled), Banana (peeled), Apricots (pitted).

List of safe vegetables:

Red Beets (peeled)- can be offered raw or steamed, Radishes, Turnips, Carrots, Cooked Sweet Potatoes, Radicchio, Endive, Mustard Greens, Beet & Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Swiss Chard, Kale, Parsley, Basil, Cooked Red Potatoes, Peeled Squash (Acorn, Spaghetti, Butternut, Summer, Pumpkin, etc.) Can be offered raw or steamed. Note: the seeds are a big hit with parrots!), Green Beans, Tomato, Sweet Red & Green Peppers, Hot Peppers, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Broccoli Rabe, Turnip Greens, Snow Peas, Tofu, Fennel, Kohlrabi, Sugar Snap Peas, Artichokes - can be stuffed with pine nuts as a foraging toy, Corn (can be either cut in chunks or cut off the cob.

Fruit and vegetable lists were copied from www.greyfeathertoys.com/. www.birdsnways.com supplied the list of spices.

Mel, you left out sweet corn on the cob. Slice the cob in small slithers, a big hit in my home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts