Parrotlet Kidney Issues

Alliegmarcin

Aug 24, 2021
Massachusetts
Parrots
Parrotlet named Quito
Parakeet named Clara
Last September, my 9 year old parrotlet started limping around and was acting very lethargic. We immediately took him to the vet that day and they gave him antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory, but had no solid answers for why he was sick. The meds cleared up his issues and he was fine for a few months after that.

Last week he started having the same issues. We took him to the vet again and they advised we do a blood test to check his blood chemistry (and yes, I did ask and make sure that it was safe for them to take his blood, and they assured me it was). They found that the uric acid content in his blood was 5 times the normal amount and concluded his kidneys were inflamed and pressing up against his sciatic nerve, causing him to limp. They gave him more meds and told us to monitor his condition.

Later that same day he passed away.

I am just looking for some answers, parrotlets are supposed to live longer (or at least I thought) and I made sure he ate a very good diet and got adequate sunlight for vitamin D absorption.

Does anyone know what could have caused this, besides vitamin deficiencies? I have heard that blue parrotlets with two blue parents are susceptible to genetic mutations linked to health problems, but I don't know this for sure.

I had him for 9 years, since I was in elementary school. I just want to understand why this happened to him.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Last September, my 9 year old parrotlet started limping around and was acting very lethargic. We immediately took him to the vet that day and they gave him antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory, but had no solid answers for why he was sick. The meds cleared up his issues and he was fine for a few months after that.

Last week he started having the same issues. We took him to the vet again and they advised we do a blood test to check his blood chemistry (and yes, I did ask and make sure that it was safe for them to take his blood, and they assured me it was). They found that the uric acid content in his blood was 5 times the normal amount and concluded his kidneys were inflamed and pressing up against his sciatic nerve, causing him to limp. They gave him more meds and told us to monitor his condition.

Later that same day he passed away.

I am just looking for some answers, parrotlets are supposed to live longer (or at least I thought) and I made sure he ate a very good diet and got adequate sunlight for vitamin D absorption.

Does anyone know what could have caused this, besides vitamin deficiencies? I have heard that blue parrotlets with two blue parents are susceptible to genetic mutations linked to health problems, but I don't know this for sure.

I had him for 9 years, since I was in elementary school. I just want to understand why this happened to him.
Based on what I’ve read, 9-10 is on the older side for parrotlets, many only live to 8 or so. And I believe they are probe to kidney issues. So maybe he was just an old, sick guy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts