Parrots and Airbags

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Wow, thanks for sharing this Spiritbird. when I travel with my keet, she's in her travel cage in the back seat, set next to me, and strapped in. But when I start driving, I was going to have sit up front with me but this article just changed my mind.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Years ago, before having children, I witnessed a motor vehicle accident, where an airbag opened on impact. The child strapped in her car seat, on the front seat was lucky to have escaped with minor injuries.
Always thought to myself, imagine a bird being in that situation.
When younger, my kids were never allowed to sit in the front seat.
When Mishka became part of the family the same rule applied for her.
Now being older my guys sit in the front.
As for Mishka, sorry my Angel, you will always be seated in the back, because you will always be my little baby.

Last edited:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I know its definately not safe for me to drive with Eddie in the front seat. He turns into such a sook in his carrier and I always put my finger through the front of the carrier to give him a scritch on the cheak to relax him. And he always grabs my finger with his foot like a baby and will not let go (litterally, my finger is stuck there until he decides to let go). Somehow driving around the streets with one hand stuck in a bird carrier doesn't seem to safe lol

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
I know its definately not safe for me to drive with Eddie in the front seat. He turns into such a sook in his carrier and I always put my finger through the front of the carrier to give him a scritch on the cheak to relax him. And he always grabs my finger with his foot like a baby and will not let go (litterally, my finger is stuck there until he decides to let go). Somehow driving around the streets with one hand stuck in a bird carrier doesn't seem to safe lol

Yeahhhh, that doesn't look very safe and doesn't set a good example! LOL

liliafavor

Jun 23, 2010
Parrots are commonly pictured in cages or perched on a shoulder or wooden perch. When a trip to the vet is required you may need to get a parrot back in the carrier in which you brought him home. If that was his only experience travelling inside a carrier, he might not be happy to repeat the experience. With a little patience you can train your parrot to go inside the carrier on his own.

Most Reactions