Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Last week I managed to catch the worst flu, the one that is making it way up the East Coast. My son had it, one of the Mgrs at work had it, its 7-10 days of waterfall running nose, pounding head, and coughing up buckets of lung goo. I as hit really hard in the lungs, with asthma an all. SO weak that just getting up to go to the head left me breathless, literally. SO from Sat until Wen, I have not had the strength to do anything with Salty, not even, well nothing. Yesterday I tried offering a scrathie to him and he was PISSED OFF, and bit me (not bad but a bite none the less). Today I spent the whole day with him, talking to him, laughing with him, singing with him, and of course the odd treat-treat. And he forgave me for dropping out of his life like that, with no warning or my usual explanation (if I know in advance I will be out of the house for any length of time). I hurt his feelings dropping out like that. How do I know he forgave me? He offered his neck for a scratchie, right before we had a great training session - the only hiccup was putting his harness on. He likes to show off doing that for his Mommie, who effusively praises him and tells him how HANSOME he looks. But of course she is now laid up with the same Flu. Salty was crying for her before putting it on, but once he did it (such a trooper), I took him into the bedroom so he could see his Mommie and she could give him her praise! Yes I think Parrots can forgive. I love this little green man so much.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Master Wrench, I'm so sorry to know you and your son and the lovely Geri have been so ill! That flu sounds awful - I recall the last true influenza infection I had a number of years ago laid me out flat and barely able to move for at least 4 days, it was an absolute shocker! I hope you and yours all fully recover very soon, sending hugs and healing vibes for you and lots of extra scratchies for your handsome little green man to make up for any that he may have missed! ❤️🤗

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I'm so sorry you and yours have been unwell, but I love this story of love and forgiveness. Because of you, I always tell Bumble when I'll be gone and when I'll return, and it really makes a difference.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yuck. I may have had this bug a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t see my guys for a few days and I think Willow is still a bit miffed. I hope you both feel better soon!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We got our flu shots in September and are hoping it helps avoid this strain.
There Is no question in my mind that they appreciate being told you'll be out for a few hours or a few days. And, if you are sick, at least being able to see you helps. The video chat on one's smart phone is a life saver if you forget.

And, yes humble-pie helps if you screw-up. The speed of the forgiving, varies between Species and how bad the Human screwed-up. But, there is no question, that they expect it and appreciate when we provide it.

Most Reactions