Parrots and touch

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
A very generous FB acquaintance shared this with me.....

You may be new to sharing your life with parrots or you may be an old pro. Or perhaps you have never even considered a parrot. Either way you may be surprised to learn a few facts about parrot behavior that make them a bit different from your average companion animal. Here are a few of my favorites.

1. Parrots prefer to have their head feathers stroked towards their beak. While your dog, cat or rabbit may appreciate being stroked from head to tail, this is often merely tolerated or it can be sexually stimulating to companion parrots. Look at your birdā€™s body language to clue you in as to whether your parrot is just taking it or canā€™t get enough. If your parrot is squatting, trembling or panting it is a good idea to reconsider this practice. A bird that is tolerating it isnā€™t really the goal either. I prefer to see a parrot who fluffs his head feathers up in a big ball in anticipation of a few head scritches. Touch on the head is definitely a great way to foster your relationship. Allopreening (grooming each otherā€™s feathers) is an important part of parrot social relationships. Parrots canā€™t reach those pin feathers (new feathers growing in) on their head, having their human companion remove the keratin casing on newly grown feathers is usually quite welcomed. Check out this video clip on how to pet a parrot to see what touch should look like.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great video of a Yellow-Nape Amazon!
Yes, Parrots enjoy head scratches and it can be a strong bonding tool. But it is important to understanding that until there is a trust bond in place it can be a great way to get bit, as well.
I hope that this video helps individuals understand Parrot wants a bit better. With Amazons, I always recommend the two high lighted Threads as the top of the Amazon Forum and especially the understanding Amazon Body Language Thread first.
Thanks for the great video!!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I agree with above, but consider a few exceptions. Yup, my YNA... scratch her head, neck, cheeks back to front and help with those newly growing feather, and life is GOOD! As said above, the bond is critical in knowing/trusting that you'll in fact keep your fingers, so not something anyone should ever expect to do with any parrot they meet. My girl actively seeks me out for scritches, and occasionally my son. Anyone else is a hard NO. Know thy parrot!

Those of us with ekkies will tell a different story. Ekkie feathers are very different, almost hair like, and it's a rare ekkie that will tolerate anyone messing up "the doo." EVER. Many don't care to be pet or touched at all, and those that do are pretty strict about front to back only. It's an ekkie thing. šŸ™„

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Hello everyone! @saxguy64 @SailBoat Thanks for appreciating the post! I am a beginner doing my research and I discover new things everyday so I just decided to share information I find interesting during my quest for knowledge, knowing that there must be other newcomers out here looking for basics. Thanks for the appreciation and the warnings!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Video looks like a scratching session with my Yellow nape Bingo.
I usually end each session with smoothing his feathers down by petting his head front to back.
You are right, he toloearats it from me but doesnā€™t like it.
It sort of letā€™s him know I am done but he usually coaxes me into more if he isnā€™t finished.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

You may be new to sharing your life with parrots or you may be an old pro. Or perhaps you have never even considered a parrot. Either way you may be surprised to learn a few facts about parrot behavior that make them a bit different from your average companion animal. Here are a few of my favorites.

1. Parrots prefer to have their head feathers stroked towards their beak. While your dog, cat or rabbit may appreciate being stroked from head to tail, this is often merely tolerated or it can be sexually stimulating to companion parrots. Look at your birdā€™s body language to clue you in as to whether your parrot is just taking it or canā€™t get enough. If your parrot is squatting, trembling or panting it is a good idea to reconsider this practice. A bird that is tolerating it isnā€™t really the goal either. I prefer to see a parrot who fluffs his head feathers up in a big ball in anticipation of a few head scritches. Touch on the head is definitely a great way to foster your relationship. Allopreening (grooming each otherā€™s feathers) is an important part of parrot social relationships. Parrots canā€™t reach those pin feathers (new feathers growing in) on their head, having their human companion remove the keratin casing on newly grown feathers is usually quite welcomed. Check out this video clip on how to pet a parrot to see what touch should look like.

Huh. My childhood (Siamese) cat liked having her head rubbed against the hair growth, sort of like I would do with a parrot.

isminuer

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2023
Parrots
Double yellow headed parrot
My CoCo loveeee to be pet! Funny thing is that she has no shame in asking me to ā€œgrawata kabesā€ means ā€œscratch my headā€.
Thank you for sharing good tips!!!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have to say the back to front scratches don't always work.
My YNA Bingo has so many pin feathers just now I can't go back to front.
I mean his neck is just stiff with pin feathers and it's uncomfortable for him.
Sideways scratching works best right now. I think they are still too new to start helping him to remove the sheath. The last thing I want to do is hurt him when he is so close to my face.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I wish I had the nerve to put my finger in an Amazon's mouth while I scratched its head and face! It looks like fun but . . .

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Y
I have to say the back to front scratches don't always work.
My YNA Bingo has so many pin feathers just now I can't go back to front.
I mean his neck is just stiff with pin feathers and it's uncomfortable for him.
Sideways scratching works best right now. I think they are still too new to start helping him to remove the sheath. The last thing I want to do is hurt him when he is so close to my face.
You definitely don't want to upset a big beautiful parrot when he's close to your face! I was very careful with my Goffin Monster. He could be such an angel but beware! They just react now and (maybe) think later.

Most Reactions

Latest posts