May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
1665484697562.png

Eoraptor ~ 231–228 Ma (Triassic period)

Note: they lived at the same time as the previous dino and it depends on source which should be first - I just realized that my next source I will be using has the eoraptor as the the first one and later Herrasaurus.

Last edited:
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Likely a spilt in the DNA with the lighter bodied Eoraptor headed told feathers.
Currently I think that eoraptor isn't birds' ancestor. I thought it's the first dino until I drew the herraresaurus. On the illustration there were two species coming from them - Eoraptor and Tawa. It looks like I should choose Tawa instead but I will just skip it. Another illustration confused me, I verified it and it was wrong.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I understand you mean the last "die-off" - Idk how birds did it, I know only about mammals - they were so small living under ground, so somehow they survived the big fire caused by the meteorite hiding under ground.
In general all big animals died then - birds weren't big, so they manged to survive.

There was one even bigger "die-off" but it was before dinos and we don't have enough data to tell what was the reason of massive dying (I know two hypotheses)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, the most recent Great Die-Off. I am aware of the prior event and as you say, likely larger than the most recent. As you state, those that survived were small and either stayed underground or underwater. So, more a issue of lifestyle than a lifesaving plan. Migrating land based Dinos did not survive, but it is my belief that Migrating birds, likely found areas that where not as greatly effected as sediment layer are not equal around the World.

Love the drawings, great Thread!!

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Thank you Sailboat!

It's the last art because parrots exist since Eocene (they became separated bids around 50 million years ago). Because we know very little about parrots' past, it's really hard to find their real Cenozoic ancestors, so I decided to draw one of the stem-parrots (it means that their closest living cousins are parrots)
1666197783981.png

Halcyornis (Eocene epoch)
I'm so terrible in drawing feathers, sorry

I had no idea which stem-parrot to choose but I chose this one just because one site started its description to look at it if I look for parrot ancestors 😝 But later it says that they aren't their real ancestors.

And thanks @LeeC for sharing pages of a book about parrots ordinary. I read them and the bird above seems to be similar to what is in the book description (I mean its shape of course)

I remember - I wrote in the first post that I can do some prehistoric parrots after finishing it. I'm not sure yet If I do it and if yes, I'm not sure if I'd be continuing here or as a separated thread (because I wouldn't call it evolution - these species are rather just extinct... but who knows maybe one or more of known prehistoric parrots is an ancestor of a living species, we just don't have enough data)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A new Thread clearly makes sense since it is a clear change in topics.

Have enjoyed the Historical trip, thank you!!

The huge Amazon Family of Parrots have successfully filled near all of the Americas with their range fluctuating at the far Northern and Southern edges as the Freeze line shifted with time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts