Partner?

animalcraxkerz

Feb 15, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have a 5 and a half year old Green cheek conure. When I first got him at 6 months he was alone and then I had parakeets in the house with him that he got along with and when one of the two parakeets died the remaining one would sleep in his cage. They were together in the same cage for two to 3 years and were very happy with each other. Then the parakeet passed away due to old age. For the past 9 months my conure has now been alone and we moved to a different home. Ever since then he’s been so incredibly needy and doesn’t matter how much time we spend with him the second he’s back in the cage he cries for attention. Non stop constantly. He’s not entertained by toys tv food snacks activities in the house. Only with me or one of the other members in my home. Would it be a good idea to introduce another conure to him??

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have a 5 and a half year old Green cheek conure. When I first got him at 6 months he was alone and then I had parakeets in the house with him that he got along with and when one of the two parakeets died the remaining one would sleep in his cage. They were together in the same cage for two to 3 years and were very happy with each other. Then the parakeet passed away due to old age. For the past 9 months my conure has now been alone and we moved to a different home. Ever since then he’s been so incredibly needy and doesn’t matter how much time we spend with him the second he’s back in the cage he cries for attention. Non stop constantly. He’s not entertained by toys tv food snacks activities in the house. Only with me or one of the other members in my home. Would it be a good idea to introduce another conure to him??
If you get another conure, do it for you, as they may not get along, or they may get along but reject you. Here's a great thread on it:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
birds do greive. And my reading on the subject when mine went through this is it can last 6 months but usually less..

Its up to you if you want another bird in your life and can cope with 2 cages and 2 burds that may or may not be friends. As you definitely can't just stick a new bird in the cage with her, and even if great friends may never share a cage full time without issues.

I did want another, and have a working flock, took time and effort. They are tolerant but not all are freinds

OP
A

animalcraxkerz

Feb 15, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
birds do greive. And my reading on the subject when mine went through this is it can last 6 months but usually less..

Its up to you if you want another bird in your life and can cope with 2 cages and 2 burds that may or may not be friends. As you definitely can't just stick a new bird in the cage with her, and even if great friends may never share a cage full time without issues.

I did want another, and have a working flock, took time and effort. They are tolerant but not all are freinds
Yeah he definitely had his own way of grieving and then added with the move he’s constantly needing attention and refuses to get it anywhere but us so it can be very overwhelming. I’m completely ok with different cages I just want to see if I can slowly work to them having a good relationship where they can play and entertain themselves

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I have a 5 and a half-year-old Green cheek conure. When I first got him at 6 months he was alone and then I had parakeets in the house with him that he got along with and when one of the two parakeets died the remaining one would sleep in his cage. They were together in the same cage for two to 3 years and were very happy with each other. Then the parakeet passed away due to old age. For the past 9 months, my conure has now been alone and we moved to a different home. Ever since then he’s been so incredibly needy and doesn’t matter how much time we spend with him the second he’s back in the cage he cries for attention. Nonstop constantly. He’s not entertained by toys tv food snacks activities in the house. Only with me or one of the other members in my home. Would it be a good idea to introduce another conure to him??
I think you should get a conure because your conure can get depressed and do feather plucking and when your bird get depressed they can get some health issues
so I recommend to get another bird here's a link about getting another bird

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
this is a tricky topic to give advice on.
But personally, yeah I think they are happier to have another bird around..
But you have to take time with introducing. If you're let them fight or rush it they end up not liking each other and takes a lot more work to tolerate each other.
And they both are still going to need attention from you and out if cage time

OP
A

animalcraxkerz

Feb 15, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
He’s definitely not depressed, we spend a good amount of time with him and it’s been a bit since my parakeet passed it’s just the screaming That’s driving everyone insane.
I think you should get a conure because your conure can get depressed and do feather plucking and when your bird get depressed they can get some health issues
so I recommend to get another bird here's a link about getting another bird

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
then if he isn't depressed there is no big need of getting a new bird

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
you can try and work to recondition this. When its their normal nap quiet time, put them in the cage and pattern them to soft music. Get them back out before screaming restarts. Work to cage longer small increases. And create pattern and postive associated.
Also play the same soft music st their bedtime.

Creating patterns routine and rituals is very helpful. Especially after move and disruption to life.

Do answer flock calls have the same phrase that is used each time, or the same whistle.

When I'm working to eliminate screaming. Its all about anticipating and prevent screaming session from getting going, redirect, extending non screaming times. Lots of treats abd random praise when quiet. It takes time to create new patterns. Sometimes a good solid 2 months of effort.

Id do observations, see if cage needs to be moved to a new location, see if something outside is a trigger .
Sometimes it takes a multilayer approach, and redo of everything to accomplish.
But I've had the joy ( ha ha) of helping several parrots through this. Each parrot and situation is different.

I will link a good article

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts