lakymolnarluca

Dec 31, 2021
Parrots
Kiko - 6 month old pionus
Pihe - 1 year old budgie
Hey guys!
I got a 6 month old hand raised pionus, Kiko, about 2 weeks ago. Heā€™s a really nice parrot, I already adore him, but he screamsā€¦a lot. It started after 2/3 days after bringing him home and has gotten worse ever since. He only screams when heā€™s out of his cage. Its a loud honking noise, he bops is head and pins his feathers. He does this constantly and only stops if he is either playing, eating or sleeping. He was only fed a seed mix until I got him, Iā€™m currently transitioning him to pellets and veggies. He learned a few tricks, he targets, steps up and waves.
I feel like I messed up somehow and caused this behavour. I really need some advice from other pionus owners. ://

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hey! Welcome!
Screaming can be for many reasons. The best way to stop it is to find why the bird does it, then go from there. Maybe he wants attention, is bored, or even not feeling well, though that last one is probably not it, as you describe him as a pretty active and healthy bird.
Birds are loud. That is the bottom line. And they need something to do. Spend all the time with him you possibly can. But know there is no way of keeping a bird from vocalizing or screaming.

OP
lakymolnarluca

lakymolnarluca

Dec 31, 2021
Parrots
Pihe - 1 year old budgie
Hey! Welcome!
Screaming can be for many reasons. The best way to stop it is to find why the bird does it, then go from there. Maybe he wants attention, is bored, or even not feeling well, though that last one is probably not it, as you describe him as a pretty active and healthy bird.
Birds are loud. That is the bottom line. And they need something to do. Spend all the time with him you possibly can. But know there is no way of keeping a bird from vocalizing or screaming.
Yup, I prepared for that, but this is excessive. He goes on and on, bops his head and lifts his wings. Idk if itā€™s hormones, attention, boredom. Iā€™m trying my best.

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
Hey guys!
I got a 6 month old hand raised pionus, Kiko, about 2 weeks ago. Heā€™s a really nice parrot, I already adore him, but he screamsā€¦a lot. It started after 2/3 days after bringing him home and has gotten worse ever since. He only screams when heā€™s out of his cage. Its a loud honking noise, he bops is head and pins his feathers. He does this constantly and only stops if he is either playing, eating or sleeping. He was only fed a seed mix until I got him, Iā€™m currently transitioning him to pellets and veggies. He learned a few tricks, he targets, steps up and waves.
I feel like I messed up somehow and caused this behavour. I really need some advice from other pionus owners. ://
I find the same thing when I handle him sometimes, and right now she is screaming because she had a shower with the spray bottle (per instructions from the aviary). She liked the shower but screamed her head off when I put her back on her perch. I think she is mostly afraid. If she screams when she is onmy shoulder, I can actually hear her heart beating through her chest.

The way I have calmed her down is by taking her for a walk around the house so she can concentrate on different and new things, and, this is odd but fun: I play the ukulele and keep one behind my desk in the room where I work and where she is. If I lightly pluck the strings, it just stops her in her tracks and she listens and really appears to like it. I'm not saying go out and get a uke but distraction in any form seems to work and then she forgets why she was screaming in the first place.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Make sure the burd is eating enough, this is a lit like a baby burd begging for food.

Make sure is not loosing weight with the diet change and is actually eating enough of the new foods.

Trying to prevent these calls from getting started when you get him out keep him busy, interrupt and redirect as soon as they start. Lots of treats and praise all the time while quiet. Do answer flock calls, as parrots like to check in with flock, use the same phrase to answer. Unanswered flock calls can lead to screaming.

If i haven't shared this before its a good read

Last edited:
OP
lakymolnarluca

lakymolnarluca

Dec 31, 2021
Parrots
Pihe - 1 year old budgie
Make sure the burd is eating enough, this is a lit like a baby burd begging for food.

Make sure is not loosing weight with the diet change and is actually eating enough of the new foods.

Trying to prevent these calls from getting started when you get him out keep him busy, interrupt and redirect as soon as they start. Lots of treats and praise all the time while quiet. Do answer flock calls, as parrots like to check in with flock, use the same phrase to answer. Unanswered flock calls can lead to screaming.

I actually suspected begging for food so I started offering fresh veggies every time I took him out of his cage. After he finishes the food he goes back to screaming.

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016

yes, that piece was helpful to me too. I also continue to love the Heidenreich books about reading body language, and also find that so much of the yelling is about food, even though she has plenty.

Interesting how we're in the same boat with new Pionuses and look forward to trading tips, info and insights to make the process easier. I've had Amazons before, but Berdie is a whole different kind of parrot, much, much shyer and more independent. I really admire the independence but so far (and I guess it will change), she prefers the cage to me. Another thing we did is put a stand with plenty of toys in our living room where my wife can often be found reading. I think the change of scenery (aka getting her out of her cage) ia great thing for her even if it does cause her to initially scream.

As I write this she is hanging out on the play area, and carefully watching me, not just because she is afraid, but I think she likes kind of hanging out together. Her favorite spot is the corner closest to my desk. Here she is right now

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 119
OP
lakymolnarluca

lakymolnarluca

Dec 31, 2021
Parrots
Pihe - 1 year old budgie
Hey guys! A quick update - Turns out Kiko wasnā€™t eating enough. His breeder didnā€™t tell me the exact seed mix he was using, so I accidentally bought him a different brandšŸ˜…. His screaming stopped immidiately after getting him the correct food. I feel so bad now, I hope he forgives me for not feeding him correctly for a few days. šŸ„² Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and help! Happy New Year!ā¤ļø

savagegardener

Jan 23, 2022
Parrots
šŸ’œ Sunshine (Green Cheek) šŸŒˆ 2019-21
šŸ’œ Mojo (Green Cheek) 2021
šŸ’œ Vudu (Black Capped) 2021
šŸ’œ Zambi (Green Cheek) 2022
@lakymolnarluca, so glad you reached out to the breeder and got the screaming down. Reading new birds minds should be an Olympic sport! Speaking of which, where did you find your breeder for the bronze wing? At this point I have searched for over a year and have found only one, and of course they are no longer adding to the waitlist šŸ˜­

Most Reactions