Pionus species

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Hi all! Hope you all are well. I have just started researching the Pionus and wanted to ask what are the differences in temperament between the 6 pionus species in general. I would also really appreciate it if someone can arrange in descending order the popularity of species of Pionus i.e. from the most popular to the rarest.

Looking forward to your response. Thank you so much for taking out the time to go through my post. Wish you and your pets all the best!

P.S. Pionuses are being advertised on YouTube parrot channels as THE best beginner and best bird for busy people, being more independent and not screaming for your attention being the primary reason. So, what is the story really? Do you concur with this branding of Pionuses?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
There's no such thing as a beginner bird; all parrots are hard pets and which one you get depends on what you want and what you can handle, not how many birds you've had in the past.
I had a bronze-winged pionus several years ago and besides my senegal, he's probably the quietest parrot I've owned. He was actually my first bird, but I had been planning for years by the time I got him, and I still don't believe in "beginner birds".
From my experience they're pretty independent and easygoing, as far as parrots go.
I don't have any experience with other species, though (sorry).

Edit: I know blue-crowned pionus are very popular, along with white-capped and bronze-winged. I haven't seen anyone with another pionus species.

Last edited:
OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
"There's no such thing as a beginner bird; all parrots are hard pets and which one you get depends on what you want and what you can handle"

There us HARDLY a popular YouTube parrot channel that doesn't have its recommendations for "top parrot species for beginners". So what's the deal with that? Are they all lying? I am not defending them or anything, just clarifying the matter.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
"There's no such thing as a beginner bird; all parrots are hard pets and which one you get depends on what you want and what you can handle"

There us HARDLY a popular YouTube parrot channel that doesn't have its recommendations for "top parrot species for beginners". So what's the deal with that? Are they all lying? I am not defending them or anything, just clarifying the matter.
I wouldn't say "lying"... a lot of those videos DO make valid points. I do agree that some birds might be somewhat 'easier' than others. I just personally don't believe in "beginner birds".

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Old Timers Tool! "Let the Parrot Choose You!!" Since one of the earliest wants is for the Parrot to trust 'you'!! Having them choose you gets one a very long way in that direction! Humans are overly involved with their list of wants where Parrots are all about who they want to be with. Spend enough time with a group of Parrots around you and one is going to keep following you around while the others simply move away. That's very likely will be the one!

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Edit: I know blue-crowned pionus are very popular, along with white-capped and bronze-winged. I haven't seen anyone with another pionus species.
there's no such thing like "blue-crowned" - you meant blue headed pionuses

I think I've seen somebody with Maximillian's pionus on another forum

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
there's no such thing like "blue-crowned" - you meant blue headed pionuses

I think I've seen somebody with Maximillian's pionus on another forum
Yup. Thanks Roz :)

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
There's no such thing as a beginner bird; all parrots are hard pets and which one you get depends on what you want and what you can handle, not how many birds you've had in the past.
I had a bronze-winged pionus several years ago and besides my senegal, he's probably the quietest parrot I've owned. He was actually my first bird, but I had been planning for years by the time I got him, and I still don't believe in "beginner birds".
From my experience they're pretty independent and easygoing, as far as parrots go.

Thanks so much for the input!

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Old Timers Tool! "Let the Parrot Choose You!!" Since one of the earliest wants is for the Parrot to trust 'you'!! Having them choose you gets one a very long way in that direction! Humans are overly involved with their list of wants where Parrots are all about who they want to be with. Spend enough time with a group of Parrots around you and one is going to keep following you around while the others simply move away. That's very likely will be the one!
Yes I have heard that is a really effective way of getting a compliant companion! Thanks for the tip!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have a Blue-headed Pi (Talli), and lost my White-capped Pi (Pisces) a few months ago. Pisces was super quiet, I don't think I ever heard her scream in the 7 years we had her.
However, she was also not a really friendly bird until she came to us, she was in a rescue for 18 months because she wouldn't go to anyone until my husband stuck his hand out for her to step up.

Talli can be super loud, and has a temper. He also talks pretty well, and can be a cuddler when the mood hits him.

I think that beginner bird can mean something different to different people.

If someone isn't familiar with birds but wants a big one, and so they get something smaller so they can get used to birds before getting the big one they wanted. That to me is wrong, unless they plan on still loving and taking care of the "beginner" bird they got. To me this would be better called a "Starter Bird".

On the other hand, if someone has no experience and doesn't really have a species in mind, I think it's helpful to tell them different traits of species that are known to be easier birds. They would still be beginner birds because the person is the beginner, but the bird is not one they are getting on their way to eventually get their dream bird.

I hope that made as much sense written as it did in my head.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
I have a Blue-headed Pi (Talli), and lost my White-capped Pi (Pisces) a few months ago. Pisces was super quiet, I don't think I ever heard her scream in the 7 years we had her.
However, she was also not a really friendly bird until she came to us, she was in a rescue for 18 months because she wouldn't go to anyone until my husband stuck his hand out for her to step up.

Talli can be super loud, and has a temper. He also talks pretty well, and can be a cuddler when the mood hits him.

I think that beginner bird can mean something different to different people.

If someone isn't familiar with birds but wants a big one, and so they get something smaller so they can get used to birds before getting the big one they wanted. That to me is wrong, unless they plan on still loving and taking care of the "beginner" bird they got. To me this would be better called a "Starter Bird".

On the other hand, if someone has no experience and doesn't really have a species in mind, I think it's helpful to tell them different traits of species that are known to be easier birds. They would still be beginner birds because the person is the beginner, but the bird is not one they are getting on their way to eventually get their dream bird.

I hope that made as much sense written as it did in my head.
Thank you so much for replying. Yes, it certainly made sense to me. I value your opinion greatly!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My bronze winged Pionus, jo, was generally very quiet BUT when the Canada geese flew overhead she would honk at them.
The call didn’t sound the same, but the pitch was the same.

I think Pionus are sweet birds but if there’s any stress in your household, the Pionus can choose a person to ally with and bite the other household members very hard. I have scars on my fingers from Jo that I got nearly 20 yrs ago!

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
My bronze winged Pionus, jo, was generally very quiet BUT when the Canada geese flew overhead she would honk at them.
The call didn’t sound the same, but the pitch was the same.

I think Pionus are sweet birds but if there’s any stress in your household, the Pionus can choose a person to ally with and bite the other household members very hard. I have scars on my fingers from Jo that I got nearly 20 yrs ago!
Sorry to hear about the scars. I suppose that's a risk we all are taking getting into this isn't it?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Sorry to hear about the scars. I suppose that's a risk we all are taking getting into this isn't it?
It was just weird that Jo picked up on the creepy household dynamics and allied herself with the dominant person of the house, who didn’t like her much.

Bird scars are not a big deal. But it’s funny that I have faint little sideways “U’s” on some of my fingers.

Mikxx

Jul 7, 2021
We have a blue headed Pionus named Jill.

She is not so easy. Despite being raised from the beginning after one year she tends to bite us a lot.

She is only able to speak one word so far but we are happy every time she talks.

In the morning and at sunset she is more noisy compared to our Amazons. When they start to make noise Jill is leading the pack.

Inti's woman

Nov 9, 2023
Bretagne France
Parrots
Pionus maximiliani, Pyrrhura molinae, Nymphicus hollandicus, Pyrrhura cruentata...

In France the Maximiliani is most popular. not the reason why I have him, but he fits perfectly🥰

Most Reactions