Pistachios

mentey552

New member
Joined
Oct 2, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Parrots
Aaliyah2025!
Hi I have a red crowned Amazon age 15. This past week he has started to suck on his pistachio shells (un salted) he will not eat the nut, but seems to be literally obsessed with playing with the shell in his mouth. He will break the shells sometimes, but mostly rolling it around in his beak. He has decreased eating his food.
 
Hi I have a red crowned Amazon age 15. This past week he has started to suck on his pistachio shells (un salted) he will not eat the nut, but seems to be literally obsessed with playing with the shell in his mouth. He will break the shells sometimes, but mostly rolling it around in his beak. He has decreased eating his food.
Not sure what you mean by decrease eating.
My red crowned Amazons eat pastachio’s but don’t give the shells a second thought.
But I have seen them chewing on down feathers for some odd reason.

Those nuts aren’t cheap, if he/she is not eating them I wouldn’t give them to him/her.
My CAG’s don’t touch em so I pick them out of the seed mix and give em to my amazons.

I can’t see any harm in them playing with the shell, their tongue is like an extra finger and sounds like they are just playing with it.
 
My CAG eats pistachio roasted unsalted in shell. Occasionally after eating the nut she plays with the shell. I think it's that papery whatever that's sometimes left in shell. She's trying to remove it.
 
Not sure what you mean by decrease eating.
My red crowned Amazons eat pastachio’s but don’t give the shells a second thought.
But I have seen them chewing on down feathers for some odd reason.

Those nuts aren’t cheap, if he/she is not eating them I wouldn’t give them to him/her.
My CAG’s don’t touch em so I pick them out of the seed mix and give em to my amazons.

I can’t see any harm in them playing with the shell, their tongue is like an extra finger and sounds like they are just playing with it.
Well he only wants the shell, this has never happened before. He is not interested in his regular food just obsession with the shells only
 
he only wants the pistachio shell and isn’t interested in his regular food anymore
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom