Play Nesting?

throwingcopper33

Sep 28, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
I believe Luna has started to play nest. I let her roam the house freely when I am home. She has started to hide behind or under the couch. She has also started to hide in between the cracks of doors and the adjacent walls. I can put my fingers through the cracks, and she will play bite me and give a little play growl. So she doesn't seem to be territorial and it doesn't seem to be anything serious for now. After an hour or two, she will finally come out on her own. I have has her for over 3 years, and this is the first time she is doing this. Is there any possible long term detriment effect if I let her continue to do this?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yes, there is. Never intentionally facilitate hormonal behavior, or you’ll be in for a very rocky road as a parrot owner. Play bites now - guaranteed and inevitably - turn into real bites when you mess with a hen in a dark place. You’ll have biting, plucking, egg laying and a few others to contend with.

To humor myself, I just shared your post with my partner, not really a bird person but amazing with our male, and asked him what he’d say to you. His response was pricelesss: “F**k around and find out”.

I couldn’t have said it better. And it’s spot on🤪

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not by any means an Eclectus expert. But when it comes to Hormonal Response, the Big Three Amazons excel in response and as stated above; F**K around and find out! Never, ever, play with a Hormonal Parrot and although your girl maybe in the early stages of experiencing a full-on Hormonal Surge, next week could be a nightmare!

Playing with even a mildly hormonal parrot can encourage a greater flow. Your getting clear signals from your hen that she is experiencing a hormonal surge.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would block off the places that she is “play-nesting” In because birds come into breeding condition when their environment is right to raise babies in. One variable is having a place to lay eggs.

You don’t want your bird to think that she’s found the right place and time for babies. You will keep her safer and healthier by keeping her out of nesting places and giving her plenty of sleep on a very dark room.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have no experience with this species So.
With a female bird I would do everything I could to avoid nest building type behavior.
Not so much beca of hormonal behavior towards me but because of egg laying issues.

I let my Yellow nape Bingo play “house” in cardboard boxes.
As a male eggs aren’t a problem.
Because he sees me/is bonded to me like a mate I can stick my hand inside the box when he is inside and the worst thing that will happen is he will regurgitate on my hand trying to feed me.

Bella my female African Grey recently went through puberty and we had been letting her explore the very top shelves of the kitchen cupboards.
She would shred paper and cardboard like it was going to be outlawed. Every time we opened a cupboard we would be showered with confetti.
Then she layed an egg.
since then she is not allowed in the cupboard.
we crammed the shelves full of empty boxes so she’s got no room and making room will alert us to what she is doing.
No more eggs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts