Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
PAEP in Forest Lake, Minnesota. It's run by a mother/daughter.

I wouldn't call them as strict a rescue as one that does in-home checks and such, but my impression has always been that they do their darndest to do right by the birds, and they genuinely look for good owners and want to see that the parrot likes the people. They're not afraid to translate bird language, including the answers some people don't want to hear!

I adopted my very first parrot from them, and I board my parrots there. They do boarding, discounted toys and perches and such, and offer some classes for learning how to make toys I think maybe a few on parrot behavior. They're willing to trim nails, and they're actually the only people besides myself I trust to touch my parrot's claws after some bad veterinarian experiences.

They also sell cages at extremely discounted prices, when available -- I picked up my Indian Ringneck's big one for only $75.00

They've taken in birds from the tiny finches and budgies rescued from hoarders, to a macaw who was so heinously abused, he stayed at their rescue for seven years before finally finding a forever home. His past owner used to light his feathers on fire whenever he made noise! He was a quiet bird because of it, and very willing and very ready at any second to snap someone's finger off. He was, hands-down, the most 'dangerous' parrot I have ever met. They didn't even bat an eye, just kept on caring for him and keeping him as happy as they could in his massive cage, and respecting his space.

They feed all the birds, both adoptees and boarders (unless an owner has specific diet requirements for their own birdies) a good mix of pellets and chop, and change the water. I've liked the volunteers I meet there, particularly the ones who have been with the rescue for several years.

They also like to keep in touch with adopters, and if anything goes wrong with the bird's placement, they take them right back. I've met a few birds there who had tried a few homes that didn't fit for one reason or another (usually on the people's part), until finally finding their forever home.

This is more of a side personal note, but Renee (the owner of the rescue) collects many of the molted feathers when they do cage cleanings. (The trays all get washed every day instead of bothering with papers, they've got an awesome little table-shower nook for doing just that!) She then gives me the feathers, and I match them in pairs, clean them up, and then make earrings from them. Any profit I donate right back to the rescue, and I get to have fun playing with hundreds of pretty colored feathers!

I can't even bear the thought of such a situation, but if crap hit the fan, I would trust PAEP to find good homes for my birdie babies.
Is there a webpage I can include?

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
β€œEcho” - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
Is there a webpage I can include?
Yeppers! Sorry, I should have thought to include that.

PAEP's website: https://www.parrothelp.org

Edit to add: Wow, I forgot how much I actually hate their website's design. It's so pretty, but it's difficult to read anything. They don't keep up on adding things to it much (the "store" section has been empty for.... pretty sure several years now) because they're usually busy working with the birds :ROFLMAO:

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Yeppers! Sorry, I should have thought to include that.

PAEP's website: https://www.parrothelp.org

Edit to add: Wow, I forgot how much I actually hate their website's design. It's so pretty, but it's difficult to read anything. They don't keep up on adding things to it much (the "store" section has been empty for.... pretty sure several years now) because they're usually busy working with the birds :ROFLMAO:
Thank you so much, it's now on the list:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Love that you guys are doing this!
I'm so glad y'all are adding to it!
I think I may have to switch it over to Google Docs soon, it is starting to fill up which is awesome:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I never did a follow up on this. I haven’t been able to verify their new setup!
Thank you for the update, David, I appreciate it:)
I'll keep an eye out if you feel comfortable enough about leaving a review after you have verified.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Most Reactions