Please urgent help!!!

Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
I have a little cockatiel named Walnut! (Finally an official name :D) she is very cute, we are learning together
Im sorry im just so panicky right now, we were sitting in the kitchen and a sudden noise scrared him. He flew and he hit his head on a window i didnt see how but it was pretty hard i believe. I quickly looked at him and i think he hit his head pretty badly because he could walk, but he was falling all over. Cant fly, doesnt bite. He seems relaxed but i know he isnt. He didnt try to get away when i held him and doesnt bite hard. This is so unlike him. He used to bite and play arpund but now he just sits. This happened minutes ago but im alone in my house and have no one to get help from. What should i do? Please hellp me. I just dont want him to get hurt and it feels liek my fault although it isnt. Im so confused. Please help me

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
I have a little cockatiel named Walnut! (Finally an official name :D) she is very cute, we are learning together
His beak is roughened up from the collusion. I dont know what to do. Im trying to get him to eat. ***k

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
***K!!!! He tries to eat it but cant hold food in his beak!!!! Please what is happening????

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
I think his beak is damaged. He is trying to preen but cant, trying to eat but cant chew. He can fly but has a hard time having balance. If we cant get him to eat today we will be taking him to a vet.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You need to keep him in a cage and keep him quiet. He doesn't have to eat today. Don't force him. He does need to eat tomorrow.

Tge most important thing is to keep him quiet, so brain swelling can come down. Vet can give him something fir swelling on brain.

Click go advanced under text box and paper clip upload and post a picture of beak.

Last edited:
OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
Thank you, he is very sleepy. Thankfully his beak isnt broken.

25494d1608750790-please-urgent-help-zz7a1j.jpg

Attachments

• 20201223_155030.jpg
    20201223_155030.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 109
  • zz7a1j.jpg
    zz7a1j.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Fine advice from Laura! It may not be possible to distinguish between brain injury/swelling and damaged beak/sore muscles without an avian vet visit. Once diagnosed, meds to reduce swelling may help.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would try to keep him calm as possible and possibly in a darker area (if he is showing signs of shock). Normally, I am anti-dark spaces for birds (outside of bedtime) but a bird in shock does better in a quiet, dark space. If he is acting fairly normal, he is not in likely experiencing shock...but he could be based on what you are saying.

Anti-inflamitories from a vet can save their lives if there is any brain swelling and so that will be tough to say...

If a bird is ever in such shock that they are on their side, make a donut shaped ring with a towel and stick their feet into it so that they are upright (even if unconscious).

Warmth is also important for shock-- you don't want to overheat them, but turning up the heat in your house can help.

Sometimes, they just need a bit of time to recover, but it just depends. Based on the pictures, I am inclined to say that yours is not so severe, but if you can get to a vet, that would be best as far as ruling out serious damage.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Good advice above, and I agree. Looks like he should be ok. Please do keep him quiet for a few days.
How is he now?

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
He is doing alright, he can eat and plays with his toys. Still having some trouble balancing but its okay. He is more active but not as active as before. And he is very puffy. Kinda cute not gonna lie.

Attachments

• IMG_20201224_093905_416.jpg
    IMG_20201224_093905_416.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 91
OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
Also, I noticed that his wings are kind of hanging down, is this a bad sign? He can fly though

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You must keep him quiet. Not allowing him to fly. Not encouraging play.
I am concerned, because I can see he know is showing signs if his brain swelling. Keep him warmer. Warmth helps birds that are sick, ir had trauma.

You really must treat him carefully, and take care of him and protect him. He us shoeing sign of brain trauma. Moving around sbd flying can lead to more damage, a second accident or death.

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
Oh god thats awful, thank you for informing me. :(

OP
worriedcockatielowner
Nov 23, 2020
Media
Turkey
Parrots
I will do as you said, thank you once again

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Just baby him for the next couple of days. Kinda like you taking it easy on the couch after a sport, or car accident.
Then hopefully, he will be just fine. And can fly and play.

Most Reactions

Latest posts