Poop question

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
So I'm on a business trip in San Diego and was having Nike withdrawals so I googled bird stores and visited one.

There was a couple looking at a Senegal and got it to step up. While holding the bird it did a large volume projectile poop which was 100% clear. The store had been opened for an hour so I doubt it was the first poop of the day but it could have been which would possibly explain the projectile part but I've only seen Nike have a clear poop after I've given her too much apple or the like. This bird was eating a seed mix. I mention to the couple that I would be concerned about thee bird's health and store employee came by and when the couple asked about it her response was that it "probably was drinking a lot of water, it happens all the time".

Not being an expert on poop and in my 42 years of parrot ownership having never seen that before I have doubts about the diagnosis of the employee.

What do you think? The general condition of the store would certainly give me pause about buying any bird there.

Mindy

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
Finnegan the Timneh, Chicky the Cuban Amazon and Fanny Featherbottom the house chicken.
Doesn't sound like a good sign to me. Finnegan will get pretty watery when he's had a lot of fruit, like you said.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As both of you have stated, commonly after pigging out of Fruit. On very rare occasions from over-drinking and/or drinking and bathing. Can also, occur with an overly stressed Parrot. But, a heavy intake of water is required.

Happens all the time statement from a 'store employee' - Now That, Happens All The Time! :D

Unless the two above events was noted prior to that release, I would be booking it to my CAV.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to "America's Finest City!" Beautiful day today, a tad windy. Hope you have time to sample some of the tourist sights and great restaurants!

Care to mention the name of the store? There are several throughout the county. Was it Omar's or Our Feathered Friends?

I've only seen near-total clear droppings immediately after a quantity of high-water fruit was consumed. Should return to normal shortly. If this bird was eating seeds only, that'd be IMO a red flag.

Enjoy your stay!!

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Welcome to "America's Finest City!" Beautiful day today, a tad windy. Hope you have time to sample some of the tourist sights and great restaurants!

Care to mention the name of the store? There are several throughout the county. Was it Omar's or Our Feathered Friends?

I've only seen near-total clear droppings immediately after a quantity of high-water fruit was consumed. Should return to normal shortly. If this bird was eating seeds only, that'd be IMO a red flag.

Enjoy your stay!!
BirdSmart on Clairemount Mesa Blvd.

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
Sunny will do a water poop every great once in awhile. Generally it's if I take her somewhere she hasn't been before. She is very resistant to change, so even going into a new room can cause this. She also has the habit of nibbling on my salad when she's sitting with me, so that, plus the fact that I give her water from a cup whenever she wants it=water poop. A few minutes after I take her back to our bedroom, she goes back to normal poops.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
My Senegal's poop is normally a soft brown with some white in it, but occasionally she will have a watery, clear poop with tints of green. I try to stay on top of cleaning it up so I know the colors lol. I don't know what causes that occasional watery poop because her diet is pretty consistent, but it's never been completely clear.

And when she does her first poop in the morning it looks like she hatched a potato. I don't know how that little bird could have so much poop in her.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Enjoy your stay!!
BirdSmart on Clairemount Mesa Blvd.

May have been there a long time ago. Sad to hear of less than knowledgeable employees.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi has wetter poops than many birds since he takes so many baths and eats a diet of fresh/moist foods with little dry food, but never have I seen an all water poo out of him. On longer drives when he's gone some time without eating, sometimes the amount of poop is very small compared to the amount of urine, but theres always at least some green feces and white urates mixed in. I am unsure what caused this bird to have an all water poop, but it could be anything from illness to stress to even the bird didn't like the food or was weaned too soon and wasn't eating.

Most Reactions

Latest posts