Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Please someone talk me out of this. So, I am in touch with a guy who is from Germany, and I live in Hungary. The guy had a meyers for around 6 months, who is now possibly around 1 year old, still not tame. I believe the person had no previous experience with such birds, so I am not surprised that much he wasn't able to tame the bird. The meyers (it's a girl) seems like a sweetheart who just doesn't like hands or people much. I know she is inquisitive as I saw in videos that she's on the floor and tables, so she's not so afraid. I believe we could tame her.
Lets say that money for a new cage and time isn't a problem, what would be my problem is - how the hell to bring her here? It's at least 10h straight drive, which means the whole trip would easily be over 12h and I don't think the guy is up for that, especially during covid time, where on the borders they stop and check people.
Another thing could be that how would the parrot survive such a long trip? Sadly flight with plane is not possible because I'd like a direct flight, and Ryanair is being a butt and they don't allow animals at all on the plane.

I'm kind of lost. I would love to save the bird and give her a good life, but how to transport her here seems like mission impossible....Does anyone have any experiences or any advices what could we do in this case?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I guess sometimes one has to accept the impossibility of a situation. Apart from the distance what about import/health rules? I know nothing about Germany/Hungary except that you are both in the EU so does that make rules easier?

6 months doesn't seem that long to wait for a bird to settle down but if both sides were really keen I guess a meeting halfway would be the way to go. Personally I would back away and deep down I guess you know that would be the better plan. It would be so nice to be able to save every bird on the planet but we all know that sometimes we have to be realistic. Could you not coach the owner on how to work with the little girl? They might both be grateful. Or even give a link here - there are many experts here. Good luck!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
A 12-hour drive is long but not impossible. Especially with a younger parrot. Basically it needs a safe comfortable carrier for the trip. I also wonder about crossing country borders with a bird. Are you both EU countries? I guess that makes it easier, but still not so easy as just crossing between states in the U.S. ..Right? You would Definitely need to find out if you will be allowed to just drive the bird into the country. Are health certificates or proof of breeding / proof of origin required? Does your country have any restriction on this type of bird?

As far as the trip. If your friend does not want to drive to you then you would drive both ways, so, a longer trip for you. At Least One overnight stay for you. You could break the 12-hour return into two days, or, drive all the way back with the bird.

My birds do not mind car rides at all. Again it seems this bird is pretty young, this is when they are more adaptable, so as long as there are no fumes etc in the car, it should be okay. If you decide to stay overnight somewhere on the way back, choose a place carefully to try to maximize risk of fumes, febreze-type cleaners etc in the room. Maybe bring along a portable air filter if you can?

I'd also suggest - IF POSSIBLE - try to fuel up your car Before the parrot gets in and avoid doing so until after home again. Depends on your mileage of course, so maybe Not possible. Just be cautious about getting fumes into the car.

I keep my bird carrier in the passenger seat when I take my birdies anywhere. Secured in place safely, of course. That way I can keep an eye on them, cover them if they seem stressed out, and also I think they feel a little more in-control being in the front with a better view of what's going on. (Sunny also likes to backseat-drive, which is always easier from the front passenger seat!) Make sure the carrier allows you to provide plenty of water and food. OF COURSE, when you stop for a break, make sure all windows and doors are securely closed before you even contemplate opening the carrier for any reason.

I use a Petsfit Carrier which I got on Amazon. It is huge for my Sunny, and I think it would be an appropriate size for a Meyers also. I actually have a square pillow under it in the car, so my Sunny can look out and play Navigator and Pilot while I drive. (She does not think I should let other vehicles pass me... nor does she think I should stop for stopsigns....)

I know that for older birds who had not traveled, a sudden long journey could be very traumatizing. But again, it sounds like this one is rather young, so I think it could adjust easily. IF it seems distressed by the travel, you would want to cover or partially-cover it, to help it sleep -through.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thank you all for your input. Now, I have to point out that I do not have a car, or a driver's licence. At that.... I am really hoping that perhaps via plane might be possible, but the guy would have to check in Germany. The tickets are far cheaper than going with, lets say, a train. I am trying to find out what papers he might need when going through the countries, I know that once i moved with my IRN to Hungary, noone asked for anything. For the new birdie I believe that a health certificate from the vet would be needed that the bird is healthy. I don't think cites papers would ve needed, i know this goes only for appex I within the EU.
I am also thinking to help the guy with his bird, but he doesn't seem keen on it. Also I know he has a dog, ehich i do not appreciate, especially as he lets the dog and the bird play together. For me personally it isba biiig no-no, but yeah. I am praying that it would be possible to go via plane - it is cheap and very fast (up to 3h of total travel, included being at the airport and such.

Will talk with the guy in the evening and see what we will do. Absolute worst thing we will try to find someone suitable nearby him, instead of giving him back to the breeder.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Heath Certificates are a common requirement at Boarder Crossing in Europe. It has been a couple of years since one of our European Members moved across three Countries and it required a Heath Certificate of Avian Professional, Certified Avian Vet (CAV), which requires a minimum one month to obtain. Once the certificate is issued there is a limited time in which the travel can occur and than the Parrot has to be seen by an Avian Professional (CAV) in the arriving country with in a specific time.

That was all prior to SARS-CoV-2. Today, that will require you to dig deep into current and changing rules.

Long trips with Parrots is very possible using Fruit like orange or apple that is cut in half for a water source and a dry food dish. Water can be a problem and should only be served when stopped.

The reality is that the seller has to commit to the cost and time to obtain the Health Certificate from an Avian Medical Professional.

Also, the issue of changing owners adds to the problem as Ownership Documents that are acceptable to both countries can be yet another problem.

Major difficulties exist and if the proper documents are not available, the Parrot could be taken at the boarder.

Last edited:
OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
A Little update.

I spoke to the guy yesterday, he was very kind, we adressed the problem and he fully understands our enthusiasm to take care of his beloved Meyers, however the issue is the travel.

We agreed that it is the best if he can find someone nearby where he lives who would take care of the bird. Despite that he must pass her on, he absolutely adores the bird and wishes the best for her. We agreed if noone accepts her in the next couple of months, he will keep me in mind. He has a friend who often travels back to Croatia and generally I would be on the way, so perhaps he would send the bird via him. But the chances for this to happen is extremely slim, so we're currently counting that someone in Germany near him will accept his little Meyers and give her a good home.

Thank you all for your help - this information will be valuable for me if I were to move to another country in far future!

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Final update - The guy found another wonderful parrot lover near him! This is essentially great news as the little Meyers will go to a loving home tomorrow, I am glad that this was sorted out. I don't feel sorry about the whole thing, most important thing is that the bird will be in good hands.

Most Reactions