Possible new sun conure

Christie71

Jan 31, 2012
Hi-
Hoping you all can give me some advice.
I have the opportunity to meet a Sun that needs to be rehomed. I never have had one before but have owned birds. She says the sun is vocal but doesn't screech. She is re homing because her dogs are not safe around the bird so the bird doesn't get enough attention. The bird is 9 months old. She said the bird loves being out with her and is very friendly.
When I mentioned hoping the bird liked me she behaved like I wouldn't handle or interact with the bird before I took it home- or at least that's how it seemed to me. This is a hand fed bird from a breeder. I asked her if the bird would interact with me and she said yes but he would be nervous and not to accept perfection.
I want a bird that can be held by my daughter and I - ideally it would be comfortable to go to people who visit our home. Or at least be friendly and outgoing at least while with me or my daughter.
If when I meet the bird it is standoffish should I not get it? Or is that something that could be worked on?
I have access to many birds that are excellently cared for and hand fed so I don't need to get this bird- I want to carefully select a good fit for our family, they are with you for a long time- I want us to all be happy!
Thank you!!

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
I really think you should visit the bird before you commit, and if you can bring your daughter so they can meet, you can be confident you are getting a conure with a personality that is a good fit for your family. I would insist on meeting the conure, and if the seller refuses, I'd look elsewhere.

How old is your daughter, and how is she generally with people and animals? The bird will bond with her if he likes her and she handles him with love and respect. Having an outgoing bird happens due to training and positive interactions with people. Starting with a young bird who is curious and interested in you and your daughter is a great first step to building a relationship that gives the bird confidence to be friendly and comfortable around others.

If the bird is standoffish, well, is the bird being shy, or is the bird disinterested in you? You don't want to bring home a bird that doesn't want to come home with you. That said, just because a bird is shy doesn't make them a bad choice. My pionus was very shy when I met her, and she is the most loving, loyal and perfect companion now that I've taken the time to get to know her. Also some birds you can charm into liking you, others make up their mind and nothing you do will change it much. Conures can be charmed, bribed.. they typically love food, attention, and any form of flattery :)

OP
C

Christie71

Jan 31, 2012
We went and met "him". He was awesome- came right up to me and was so sweet! We brought him home! Only thing I can see that needs working is he is good at avoiding stepping up because to him it means: back to the cage. No biggy!

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Yay! I'm glad you decided to being him home! I'm not sure if you are aware but pictures are mandatory here sooo. We're gonna need those ASAP!!:54::54::54::21:

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Congrats Christie! Sounds like love at first sight. I know "he" will bring your family lots of joy :)

OP
C

Christie71

Jan 31, 2012
So far so good! He sure is the boss- will have to work on that! Lol. But no bites today and I had to grab him for safety at one point. Eating and drinking- very curious so I can use that!
I'd love to post a photo- how do I??

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Just an FYI, it is imperative that all people who live with you or frequent your home become sociable with your sun and that all household members spend a similar amount of time interacting with him.

Reason I say this is if your sun bonds completely to one person, watch out! They become VERY territorial and protective of their owners. So be sure that he remains properly socialized.

OP
C

Christie71

Jan 31, 2012
Thank you skittys daddy! That's helps to know and watch for!!

Staples915

Sep 2, 2015
Florida
Parrots
sun conures , green cheek conures, tiels, dusty conure, parrotletts, and Quakers
I am going to agree with Skitty's Daddy on the territorial aspect on your Sun, congrats by the way. We were given a wonderful Sun named Mikey. Mikey bonded with me almost immediately and not to my husband. One day while i had Mikey out and playing, Dale walked in the room. One i think he surprised Mikey, two i think Mikey seen him as a threat and attacked him. More to say she's mine and you cant have her.... he flew right back to me and sassed a bit but was sure he made his point, Dale of course was shocked a bird of any sort would do that and i read body language to see it coming and warned him. Of course my husbands thoughts are due to lack of knowledge and being able to read the signs and is much better about them now. Id everyone takes the time to bond with your sun he/she should be fine with everyone. this is only my opinion tho i think any of our feathered friends have a favorite person, but with everyone bonding they are more relaxed. Have fun and time, love and patience win the bond. :rainbow1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts