Potty Train a GCC?

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
For a Green Cheek Conure to sit on your shoulder for a few hours, have any of you managed to "house break" or "potty train" a GCC? Just wondering as it seems like after a few hours your shirt would be a mess.

D

Deleted member 42416

My brother and his wife tried with their GCC. Initially, they thought it was working. Eventually, the birby only started hiding the poop tell (butt wiggle with reverse shuffle) and would poop anyway. My opinion: I think this is unnatural for birds and may create some neuroses and cloacal issues. I keep lots of napkins nearby and as soon as I get home, regular clothing gets replaced with an old t shirt.

Conures do not poop at night in their chosen sleep area, but it doesn’t mean they are meant to hold it during the day.

Remember those bumper stickers from the ‘80s.… sh#% happens! Bird poop…just part of bird life!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Mine try not to poop on me they shoot it off. No training.
Except Penny who thinks it funny she will fly to me just to poop on me.

I've told thus story before but it's still funny. I put fancy pants on just before leaving fir an appointment. I'm sitting waiting for the doc, just before he walks in I spy a huge fresh poop on my fancy pants . How in the heck...

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
I believe toilet training birds is often accompanied by medical issues. Holding poop too long can cause serious health issues/bacterial problems, pooping when not really needed can cause prolapses. The medical problems, anxiety and confusion it can bring about is just not worth it to the bird, their poop is so easy to clean up so allowing them to poop naturally when needed without encouragement to hold, remove themselves to a particular place etc is what is healthiest for birds. Many birds will choose not to poop on others- not all but many.

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
remove themselves to a particular place etc
Well, that brings up another thought. What if they had a perch with something like a dog "Pee Pad" underneath, and learned to poop there when they felt the urge. It could be close by so they could either hop or fly over to it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Vernon, that would be the safe way to train them. TO fly to the specified area and poop. But, if you take them anywhere, like outside or the vet ,etc it could cause issues . Me I just carry a old hand towel when Saltys on me.

D

Deleted member 42416

Vernon, that would be the safe way to train them. TO fly to the specified area and poop. But, if you take them anywhere, like outside or the vet ,etc it could cause issues . Me I just carry a old hand towel when Saltys on me.
That is what my brother and SIL were attempting, but I think their bird started having anxiety about stopping what he was doing to go poop or having to squelch an emotional response poo. He finally gave up and just started pooping without the preemptive “tell”. Once they stopped this poo training, he got back to normal and they’ve learned to put him over the floor when he’s about to poop. Also, replacing their white fabric sofa with a brown leather one helped tremendously with the poop issue (and when I say “issue” it was the HUMAN problem… the bird was perfect all along). 😀

PeachesPie

Jan 26, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Conures do not poop at night in their chosen sleep area, but it doesn’t mean they are meant to hold it during the day.
I was going to ask about this eventually. We noticed early on Peach wouldn't poop in her nighttime cage. Every morning it's a mad dash to the tub so we can rinse it down right away and don't have to worry about our excited puppy stepping in it and tracking it through the house or sit/lay in it. He's done that and it was a hectic morning cleaning him and the floors.

Most of the time when she's hanging out on me or my husband we can tell when she's about to drop one. I usually move her so her butt is aimed at the floor. I usually have her most of the day and she's never covered me in poop. I keep a cloth or wipes handy.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So you are thinking of getting a green cheek conure?

I thought your budgies were never going to be allowed out of the cage because of the cats and the wife who doesn't like bird mess.
And there wasn't room for a larger cage. Budgies are so active and intelligent. I urge you getting them a flight cage.

I'm going to have to read up on this potty training . And I will reach out to my burds friends.

Last edited:

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
Well, that brings up another thought. What if they had a perch with something like a dog "Pee Pad" underneath, and learned to poop there when they felt the urge. It could be close by so they could either hop or fly over to it.
The post under this post (by @wrench13 ) answers this perfectly.
Another point... Our birds are long lived (if we do everything right) and we need to remember that they may outlive us and join another home situation that is not the same as what we provide, so, to train anything like you mention can be very problematic given that new owners may not take into account that a particular perch and puppy pad need to be taken everywhere and kept clearly in sight and within close range of the bird at all times.
Their poop is seriously so simple to clean up with a tissue, wet wipe or any other piece of cloth that it really should not be a big problem with a small bird like a conure- most birds will back up and poop trying to clear the surface they are sitting on, so if you pay attention you may be able to work with your bird to help it aim well clear of you.
I have seen shirt saving cover things some people like to use to save their clothes from looking pooped on- it is essentially just a length of material that is flung over the shoulder and hangs down.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...
For a bit of levity --- my cautionary tale...

This is the sad story of how the Rickeybird was toilet-trained for about an hour, back around 1990. I think he was maybe 6. I was reading Bird Talk, by then, and decided that I would try out some of the techniques. So I began taking the Rbird over a paper every 10 minutes or so and holding him there until he pooped, at which time I said "Boo-boo!" in a happy voice. Soon, I could take him to the paper say Boo-boo and he'd poop. As hoped for, as the day wore on, HE began to say Boo-boo and then poop when I held him over the target. He and I were both delighted, and we practiced and practiced. Sadly, it wasn't even an hour before he began saying Boo-boo every 30 seconds and then flying away when I headed for the paper. I accepted defeat graciously. To this day, he will sometimes yell Boo-boo ten or fifteen times within a minute or so, usually pooping wherever he happens to be. *sigh*

D

Deleted member 42416

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...
For a bit of levity --- my cautionary tale...

This is the sad story of how the Rickeybird was toilet-trained for about an hour, back around 1990. I think he was maybe 6. I was reading Bird Talk, by then, and decided that I would try out some of the techniques. So I began taking the Rbird over a paper every 10 minutes or so and holding him there until he pooped, at which time I said "Boo-boo!" in a happy voice. Soon, I could take him to the paper say Boo-boo and he'd poop. As hoped for, as the day wore on, HE began to say Boo-boo and then poop when I held him over the target. He and I were both delighted, and we practiced and practiced. Sadly, it wasn't even an hour before he began saying Boo-boo every 30 seconds and then flying away when I headed for the paper. I accepted defeat graciously. To this day, he will sometimes yell Boo-boo ten or fifteen times within a minute or so, usually pooping wherever he happens to be. *sigh*
Oh Lordy…now some OCD part of me is going to say “boo-boo” every time an animal poops! Hopefully, I won’t have to say it 15 times. 🤣

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Oh Lordy…now some OCD part of me is going to say “boo-boo” every time an animal poops!
Ever since Finn and Echo were puppies we would say, and in this same manner, Potty Potty Potty every time thy were going on the pee pad or even outside and were going potty. "potty Potty Potty" became a sort of word-phrase around here, and we carried it on when we adopted Little Bear (boy) and Tinkerbell (girl) TFT. Was thinking that we could use the same catch phrase with training a parrot (in the future) but may backfire if said parrot was in ear shot and we told one of the dogs (now senior) Potty potty Potty. LOL

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Can't you see it now... a GCC or "any" other parrot perched on my wife's head, trained to the words "Potty Potty Potty" and I am in the next room with one of the TFT dogs, on the pad and I say "Potty Potty Potty Echo", and GCC poops all over the top of her head. "Perhaps it might be good for hair conditioner" I say. And she replies. Also good for stuffy nose... wait until your asleep and snoring"

Could backfire......

Last edited by a moderator:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I'm just gonna add to this thread, everyone else has given great information so far.

So I've never owned a conure, but potty training is just about the same for most species, and I think it's unnatural for them to have to hold their poop until they get to wherever you want them to be.
Just have some napkins on hand, if you don't want your shirt to be covered (which is understandable!)
Are you looking into a GCC? You already have 4 birds, and your budgies don't ever come out of the cage, so I would avoid getting more because...playtime is very important, and I mean this in the nicest way possible...but it would be unfair for another bird to have to stay in the cage all the time.

My birds poop on me all the time, and IMO, it's not actually that gross. I don't think much of it - but I understand if you don't want them pooping on you.

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Are you looking into a GCC?
Probably not. We were watching a video on TV (Youtube) of "Five Is A Flock" talking about beginner birds. He never mentioned Budgies. He did have a GCC as well as some other really adorable parrots.
Coming out of the cage, with no flight feathers, at this point in time is dangerous. I'm just getting them used to my hand and willing to eat seeds and treats from my hand. Otherwise, they eat Roudybush pellets in their main food container.
Plenty skittish, and I worry if they came out how hard it would be to catch them and get them back in the cage. Chasing and grabbing a timid parakeet is not a step forward in taming. We also live in a double wide, and going through remodeling. Boxes and odd and ends piled here and there and LOTS of places for a bird to scramble to and hide and hard to get access to. Our doors are designed for ventilation and the gap at the bottom is plenty big for any parakeet to slip under.
So just research at this point.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Probably not. We were watching a video on TV (Youtube) of "Five Is A Flock" talking about beginner birds. He never mentioned Budgies. He did have a GCC as well as some other really adorable parrots.
Coming out of the cage, with no flight feathers, at this point in time is dangerous. I'm just getting them used to my hand and willing to eat seeds and treats from my hand. Otherwise, they eat Roudybush pellets in their main food container.
Plenty skittish, and I worry if they came out how hard it would be to catch them and get them back in the cage. Chasing and grabbing a timid parakeet is not a step forward in taming. We also live in a double wide, and going through remodeling. Boxes and odd and ends piled here and there and LOTS of places for a bird to scramble to and hide and hard to get access to. Our doors are designed for ventilation and the gap at the bottom is plenty big for any parakeet to slip under.
So just research at this point.
Tbh, I don't believe in "beginner birds". What bird is right for you all depends on your situation.

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
There are no such thing as beginner birds, these are living beings each with its own set of needs and behaviours. They are not training wheels on kids bikes... only designed to be used till the kid gets the hang of riding the bike then they're useless and should be tossed away.
I can honestly tell you smaller does not mean easier or teacher!
What I know about and how I can handle my budgie has not in the slightest bit helped with or even translated into information or knowledge I need to know for proper care for my Macaw or even my cocky, being safely able to handle and care for a budgie is so different to being able to safely handle and care for a larger parrot- these skills and knowledge are honestly totally different and not always really interchangeable, eg: my budgie would freak if I offered it my whole arm or hand to step up on and my cocky and macaw would likely get annoyed if I offered them a single bent finger to step up on- I can take my macaw into any room of the house and know that the dangers for him are totally different than they would be for a budgie, each bird is unique and to think that anyone sees or believes a smaller bird can be used as a training tool for owning a larger bird is quite honestly silly and rather ridiculous... I personally would never take in information from anyone who suggests there are beginner birds.

Also, I do not mean to be rude but I feel it needs to be said... if you are not willing or able to provide sufficient proper care for the existing birds you have in your care then you really need to reassess why you are researching another bird that will also need what you are saying you cannot or will not provide.

Most Reactions