Preparing cage for my new GCC - how’d I do?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thats great the breeder will give e him exposure to perches n stuff!

Guess depends on the Individuals. But my baby's could quickly climb the cage walls to perch to perch. Especially if they don't get clipped before they learn to fly. ( and hopefully never,) Having wing feathers helps them balance and learn to to jump ect.

A few days, a week , not long and should be able to navigate. Depending on age exposure/experience.

Wider perches are usually more stabilizing and supportive. Try holding your wrist then holding your finger. Its much more stable holding your wrist. It speeds their body weight out. I have a gcc, quakers n budgies, they all choose the extra large perches ( like for African grey) the most to hang out on. I tossed all the small budgies size perches I had as they got zero use. Its good to have a range of sizes , but often people dont offer large enough ones. Especially people with larger parrot species .

You have a great selection, your baby will do great! I really like your perches in you cage picture

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wow that is an eye popping amount for a small cage!

But I'm sure it will work great. I zip tie all attachments like trey to cage and reinforce sides ect. So if I drop doesn’t collapse or fall apart.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
also is always great to have a little Cage incase evacuation for fire, food, hurricane, or vacation. I keep a lot if little csges around for just incase
Agree! That's why I wanted a travel cage with a little more space so that we can take birb along when we are out of town and he won't be crammed. Hope it works out.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ok my smaller cage came in! I think this will be the perfect transition cage while the baby is adjusting! The idea is to also use this cage if we go out of town with the bird and need a place to keep him for several days at another house. It fits perfectly in the back of my SUV. I also have a backpack carrier I can use for vet visits, quick car rides, walks. This bird is so spoiled and not even home yet 😂😂😂

11D722CB-09F8-491D-8E72-1F5F5CC4FB45.jpeg
10849058-6BD0-4F44-8BD0-4558078CE6D6.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Ok my smaller cage came in! I think this will be the perfect transition cage while the baby is adjusting! The idea is to also use this cage if we go out of town with the bird and need a place to keep him for several days at another house. It fits perfectly in the back of my SUV. I also have a backpack carrier I can use for vet visits, quick car rides, walks. This bird is so spoiled and not even home yet 😂😂😂

View attachment 40198View attachment 40199
This cage is perfect for your new precious baby! I love the seagrass mat with toys and I bet he will too. I absolutely love how you have gotten everything ready prior to your baby coming home, you are going to be a fantastic parront:)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Meh..... I'm just gonna be honest... from the time you get home your GCC gonna be on your shoulder anyways or eating your keyboard and all your food. The cage is the safe haven and sleep area but other than that it's going to be on your shoulder. Sometimes the shower rail, sometimes it finds the book shelf...but basically on your shoulder. If you work a lot, yes get a big cage. If you don't have too, or work from home you can basically make do with a shoebox as a GCC will be on constantly on your shoulder or head unless you force them off. Quote me wrong in a month if I'm wrong. {I won't be} GCCs are THE shoulder birds.

But yeah good cage, not like the bird will use it though except for sleep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also yes it's a kick a$$ mansion for a gcc.

Just wanted you to know it's going to be on your shoulder.....ALL THE TIME

Last edited:

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Omg soooo cute. Just this time last year my GCC Mojito was a weeee little babe like yours. Here is some things that have worked really well for us.
Favorite snuggle toy: mini fleece fluff from Bonka bird toys.
Favorite first toy: mini sneaker from Bonka bird toys. Mojito loves foot toys! They are great to hold while baby hangs out with you but needs something to focus busy beak on.
Travel Carrier: Prevue travel cage and I eventually got a birdy backpack off Amazon for short/light travel.
Mojito took to a wooden triangle swing almost immediately when I got him home.
His favorite perch is the thinner manzanita branch type perch.
I’m so excited for you! My mojito is starting to go through puberty now. (Yah me!) lol They grow up so fast. (sniffles) He loved to just sleep in my hoodie hood for his first few months when we would hang out. Now he is a crazy playful goofy goober but I still love him just as much.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Meh..... I'm just gonna be honest... from the time you get home your GCC gonna be on your shoulder anyways or eating your keyboard and all your food. The cage is the safe haven and sleep area but other than that it's going to be on your shoulder. Sometimes the shower rail, sometimes it finds the book shelf...but basically on your shoulder. If you work a lot, yes get a big cage. If you don't have too, or work from home you can basically make do with a shoebox as a GCC will be on constantly on your shoulder or head unless you force them off. Quote me wrong in a month if I'm wrong. {I won't be} GCCs are THE shoulder birds.

But yeah good cage, not like the bird will use it though except for sleep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also yes it's a kick a$$ mansion for a gcc.

Just wanted you to know it's going to be on your shoulder.....ALL THE TIME
I second this. Lol
4A0BDE38-845E-4FF7-B4C1-F89D6C405326.jpeg

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Omg soooo cute. Just this time last year my GCC Mojito was a weeee little babe like yours. Here is some things that have worked really well for us.
Favorite snuggle toy: mini fleece fluff from Bonka bird toys.
Favorite first toy: mini sneaker from Bonka bird toys. Mojito loves foot toys! They are great to hold while baby hangs out with you but needs something to focus busy beak on.
Travel Carrier: Prevue travel cage and I eventually got a birdy backpack off Amazon for short/light travel.
Mojito took to a wooden triangle swing almost immediately when I got him home.
His favorite perch is the thinner manzanita branch type perch.
I’m so excited for you! My mojito is starting to go through puberty now. (Yah me!) lol They grow up so fast. (sniffles) He loved to just sleep in my hoodie hood for his first few months when we would hang out. Now he is a crazy playful goofy goober but I still love him just as much.
Thanks for the toy suggestions!! I tried to show her a toy last week during a visit but she was afraid of it 😅 I'm excited to learn what her favorites are as she grows up.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Past time for a baby update in this thread with pictures ofcouse! How you guys doing?

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Past time for a baby update in this thread with pictures ofcouse! How you guys doing?
I actually posted some updates here: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/its-a-girl.94690/#post-1008228

She’s doing great! More into eating treats now and growing up! Dehydrated peas seem to be her favorite so far. I saw her on Monday and she was very happy to see me and greeted me with a nuzzle. She was very active and likes to climb from one of my hands to the other.

49AA98E6-8701-40F0-8BAD-E6887D6102C4.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts