Preparing cage for my new GCC - how’d I do?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hello all! I’m new to the forum and am a first time bird owner. I have a deposit on a dilute Green Cheek Conure from a local breeder and am getting everything ready for our new baby! Only 5 weeks old now and we’re visiting the baby at the breeder’s until she or he is ready to come home:

A88E90AE-157D-4BE6-BC02-2098493669A2.jpeg

I just started setting up the cage and would love to hear your suggestions and advice - this is my first time doing this!

I did get a large flight cage (with 1/2 inch bar spacing). The cage dimensions are 37x23x63. Here’s a link to it if you’re interested: https://www.chewy.com/prevue-pet-products-stand-playtop/dp/359394

To fill the cage I bought the Elle’s Avian Essentials kit from Elle and the Birds (I’ve been learning so much from her YouTube channel). Here’s my set up now:

39CD85B1-D3AF-4079-A636-18FD151B57E7.jpeg

And some other angles:
99F02A56-22DA-4CB0-9D3D-847C936E0A00.jpeg288160C4-B448-4DEB-A7DA-1DE936DA89C9.jpeg

I do also have a cuttlebone not in the cage yet and I have about three extra toys I’m not using here. The dowel perch is one that came with the cage but I did distress it with a machete. It came with two other dowels I could do the same with potentially.

What do you think? Are my perches spaced ok? When the baby first comes home the wings will be clipped (just to start out) and I want to make sure getting around the cage is easy enough.

Are three toys enough and I should hang them all from the ceiling as I have it or put some lower?

Thank you for reading!!!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
First, your baby is absolutely precious!
When you first bring your baby home, that cage may be too big for him or her as babies can be quite clumsy. As soon as he gets a little older that is a wonderful size cage. I love the toys you have and the perches, but would recommend that you get some with a smaller diameter around as well.

Since your baby will be clipped when he comes home, he will need things closer together so he can get around without falling in the cage. I would suggest asking the breeder if she allows the babies to fledge before clipping. I'm only mentioning it because birds can have lifelong issues with flying if they are clipped before fledging.

I have toys on the sides of my cages like that as well beside a perch, I find my birds like it when they are scattered in different places.

I'm so excited for you!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
First, your baby is absolutely precious!
When you first bring your baby home, that cage may be too big for him or her as babies can be quite clumsy. As soon as he gets a little older that is a wonderful size cage. I love the toys you have and the perches, but would recommend that you get some with a smaller diameter around as well.

Since your baby will be clipped when he comes home, he will need things closer together so he can get around without falling in the cage. I would suggest asking the breeder if she allows the babies to fledge before clipping. I'm only mentioning it because birds can have lifelong issues with flying if they are clipped before fledging.

I have toys on the sides of my cages like that as well beside a perch, I find my birds like it when they are scattered in different places.

I'm so excited for you!
Thank you! I’ll look into getting some smaller diameter perches to add in. As for the cage size, perhaps I could move everything closer toward the floor and lower portion of the cage to start? That way it’s more comfortable for a clumsy baby? I want to avoid having two cages if I can.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That should work. You could also remove the grate for now and line the tray with soft paper towels to help break his fall. That would be a softer landing:)
Have you gotten a travel cage yet? Depending on the size of the travel cage that may work if he turns out to have issues to start with with the larger cage.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations on this gorgeous baby!!! Fantastic cage.

I would try to make a sleep perch area, usually ( once adult) they prefer an upper corner with a visual screen in front, like a big toy or cargo net. They often like to snuggle up to something and feel protected.

I like Terrys suggestions, especially about putting towels on the bottom at first.

GCC mature fast and get the hang of perches and cage Mobility pretty darn quick. I'd expect a week or 2 after coming home would be having no issues zooming around.

My GCC is such a brilliant girl , a hoot, and sweet and sassy too. You are going to LOVE sharing your life with a green cheek!

So excited for you

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello all! I’m new to the forum and am a first time bird owner. I have a deposit on a dilute Green Cheek Conure from a local breeder and am getting everything ready for our new baby! Only 5 weeks old now and we’re visiting the baby at the breeder’s until she or he is ready to come home:

View attachment 39729

I just started setting up the cage and would love to hear your suggestions and advice - this is my first time doing this!

I did get a large flight cage (with 1/2 inch bar spacing). The cage dimensions are 37x23x63. Here’s a link to it if you’re interested: https://app.chewy.com/jrrX5ytPVpb

To fill the cage I bought the Elle’s Avian Essentials kit from Elle and the Birds (I’ve been learning so much from her YouTube channel). Here’s my set up now:

View attachment 39730
And some other angles:
View attachment 39731View attachment 39732

I do also have a cuttlebone not in the cage yet and I have about three extra toys I’m not using here. The dowel perch is one that came with the cage but I did distress it with a machete. It came with two other dowels I could do the same with potentially.

What do you think? Are my perches spaced ok? When the baby first comes home the wings will be clipped (just to start out) and I want to make sure getting around the cage is easy enough.

Are three toys enough and I should hang them all from the ceiling as I have it or put some lower?

Thank you for reading!!!
Such a smoll baby birb, I can't take the cuteness! Can't wait for your new family member to come home, I can't wait to hear his whole journey!

EDIT: The cage link isn't working..

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Thank you all for the suggestions! I like the paper towel idea too for some more cushion - not sure if I can remove the bottom wire grate or not. It does slide out, but it leaves a large gap between its slot and the trays slot when out. I was already thinking of putting the newspaper on top of the bottom wire grate to make cleaning easier so I bet some paper towels under the newspaper would work.

@Terry57 I don’t have a travel cage or carrier yet - those are next on my list!

@Laurasea I can definitely see already how fast they grow; it’s amazing! Every time I visit my baby already so much bigger. And starting to explore a lot too! Baby loves to climb on our shoulders 😂 just have to watch because he/she will get caught in your hair lol!

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the sleep area idea too. I want to avoid happy huts but I was thinking of a hanging woven swing/enclosure. I know the baby loves to snuggle now so I bet something like that would be appreciated.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks for the suggestions! I like the sleep area idea too. I want to avoid happy huts but I was thinking of a hanging woven swing/enclosure. I know the baby loves to snuggle now so I bet something like that would be appreciated.
An enclosed area can still promote hormonal behaviour, so please keep an eye on your bird.

Do you have a name for him/her already? I would love to use his(her) name instead of "your/the bird" or "it"😂

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
An enclosed area can still promote hormonal behaviour, so please keep an eye on your bird.

Do you have a name for him/her already? I would love to use his(her) name instead of "your/the bird" or "it"😂
No name yet - waiting to know the gender!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I suggest making sure that there is nothing below any feeding station or any favorite hang out spot (once he/she picks that out) to avoid build-up of poops on places where he/she will be stepping. Provide a perch adjacent to food/water bowls so the bird doesnt need to stand on the bowl itself. Looks like you have that covered, but I would remove any toys or perches directly under them.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I am one eho admits to using sleep tents for my gcc and quakers. And have for many years. It hasn't led to behavior issues or eggs. Some other species than mine it might. Or an individual. But in 4 quakers and 2 gcc for me no it has not.

When we talk about risks of crop impaction, any threads or fuzzy stuff can cause this. People letting their birds chew holes in their clothes , and rope perches are a big one. I use rope perches but replace if chewed on. One of my quakers will destroy a rope perch in day when caged, so she can't have rope perches in her cage. Out if cage she doesn't bother them. Rope toys and mop like preen toys are also a big risk.

Fuzzy huts are a risk as the fuzz as mentioned. But many available now that aren't fuzzy. Sorry its a bit of a soap box for me because people repeat and repeat this without know what the heck they are talking about. I have a very graphic link on crop impaction with crop dissection and the majority were caused by rope perch threads , and rope toy threads.

I'm not saying hey everyone needs a hut . But I do think it helps some species to provide a visual retreat ( non hut , toy or something) for roosting. As in nature birds as prey aren't sleeping out in the open.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I’ve made some updates! I tried to add a sleep perch @Laurasea:

57A16882-692F-456D-B645-50D4704986EB.jpeg

I have the perch behind the hung woven mat there.

I’ve also moved the toys lower down and added some smaller wood perches as well as a comfy rope perch and a swing!

434D57DD-C7AD-48B2-A2B2-21D43868465C.jpeg

E3076BC4-79A5-4364-A337-B05BD7941831.jpeg

I have the food and water bowls in about the middle of the cage height wise. Should I move them to the bottom?

Paper towels for cushion and newspaper will go when the bb is ready to come home. Bonus pic of my visit with the little sweetheart today:

F59789C4-66F8-47A1-8096-27A075B4DAD6.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Look at those huge baby eyes! Too cute!
Everything looks wonderful. I think bowls are in a great spot.
Oh the excitement!!!!!

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So cute! You made an amazing choice, and I'm sure your little one will be absolutely spoiled! The cage is AMAZING, but like others said, I would keep it in a smaller cage for a week or two, if possible.
Seriously though, that cage is a birdie PARADISE!!!

AnimaliaPrime

Apr 11, 2017
Wisconsin
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure female
WOnderful huge cage for a GCC! I agree with one other poster, about some smaller perches mixed in, and the cage being too large for a new baby. I brought my GCC home at 3 months and she had just had her wings clipped (I don't clip--it took 8 months for her to be able to fly again!) and she was very clumsy. She had barely perched before I brought her home. The breeder kept her in a large clear tote with shredded paper. So she spent the first few days on the floor of her cage where I made her a little next box. She had access to the whole cage, but didn't use it right away.
The other thing I would recommend is more toys. These are jungle animals, so make it a forest! Shreddables, bells and other jangly sounding toys, sliding beads and things that turn and move, all different substances. And make sure to have some small toys. My GCC and my Quaker before her, do not like big toys, or big food. Their favorites are budgie sized toys and foods. I hang toys on the walls at all different heights and hang them from the ceiling and from perches--so they reach to lower perches to encourage them to move around and use the whole cage. Doing this with food also helps, if you can. In a cage that large I would try putting a second set of food and water bowls--one set near the top and one set near the bottom.

Eudie

Apr 9, 2015

View attachment 39729

I did get a large flight cage (with 1/2 inch bar spacing). The cage dimensions are 37x23x63. Here’s a link to it if you’re interested: https://www.chewy.com/prevue-pet-products-stand-playtop/dp/359394

View attachment 39730
And some other angles:
View attachment 39731View attachment 39732

Thank you for reading!!!
I agree. The perches are way to far apart fo a little bird. they have to be close to each other so it can walk from one to the other..
They need toys on the bottom of the cage. Birds love the ones that look like barbells, and small plastic ballers that have holes all over. Like golfers use to practice with.move the stick that you have that goes from one side to the other , up so they are right next to the food and water bowls on the opposite side of the cage. Put toys on different sides of the cage and get raffia ones as they like preening them. They love bells. Make sure the perches aren’t too thick for their little feet.. they also love a swing.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
WOnderful huge cage for a GCC! I agree with one other poster, about some smaller perches mixed in, and the cage being too large for a new baby. I brought my GCC home at 3 months and she had just had her wings clipped (I don't clip--it took 8 months for her to be able to fly again!) and she was very clumsy. She had barely perched before I brought her home. The breeder kept her in a large clear tote with shredded paper. So she spent the first few days on the floor of her cage where I made her a little next box. She had access to the whole cage, but didn't use it right away.
The other thing I would recommend is more toys. These are jungle animals, so make it a forest! Shreddables, bells and other jangly sounding toys, sliding beads and things that turn and move, all different substances. And make sure to have some small toys. My GCC and my Quaker before her, do not like big toys, or big food. Their favorites are budgie sized toys and foods. I hang toys on the walls at all different heights and hang them from the ceiling and from perches--so they reach to lower perches to encourage them to move around and use the whole cage. Doing this with food also helps, if you can. In a cage that large I would try putting a second set of food and water bowls--one set near the top and one set near the bottom.
My breeder is going to move him to a cage here in about a week or so, so he will have at least some familiarity with being in a cage before coming home. I do have more toys I can add in, I just don't want to make it too crowded to start with before I know how the baby will react to toys at first. Thank you for the suggestions! It seems like some birds like tons of toys and others not so much from what I've been reading.

I am working on getting a travel cage. What I'm thinking is I can start off putting the baby in the big cage when he finally comes home and see how he does. (I did post an update above with toys and perches moved lower down.) If he seems to be having a lot of trouble with it or seems to be not moving around much I figure I can move him to the travel cage if needed. Finding a travel cage that is affordable and feels large enough is a bit of a challenge.

Most Reactions

Latest posts