Propane heater and and potty training??

secuono

Mar 8, 2013
Virginia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, Cipher
Green Cheek Conure, Kirby
We use a propane heater to warm the house, can't use anything else unless we want to waste a boatload of money and risk electrical fires.
I read the burnt stuff it puts out is bad, but a proper heater has a vent to get all that stuff up and out the chimney.
I'm sure small amounts still make it out.
What to do...

Also, I see many people having their birds free willy nilly. Bird poop is nasty, lets be honest. And I hate the stuff. Obviously, keeping a towel around is a god idea.
Can they be potty trained, is there a certain time frame after eating they tend to poop?

:green2::yellow2:

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
My furnace is a propane furnace. I also use low profile electric space heaters in my bird room because 1) it is an all glass sunroom and 2) I live where winter temperatures stay below freezing for months and generally are below zero overnight for 2 months.

Birds are messy and they poop but they rarely poop while flying. Providing a few spots around the house where you want them to land and sit for a while is the best way, IMO, to control where they poop. It's common for them to poop every 20 minutes or so.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
The firebox of your heater vents all particulates out of the heater unit & out the exhaust stack.....just be sure to have the unit checked & inspected every year before you use it.....

OP
secuono

secuono

Mar 8, 2013
Virginia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, Cipher
Green Cheek Conure, Kirby
Yes, we had it cleaned and checked out last year. This year, some of the insulation rope seems to have gone loose, so we will have them back out to clean and fix the rope.

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
My lory is potty trained, it was easy to do and she learned quick. She says "gotta go potty" and we put her where she can go, or she goes to her potty tray on her own. I can give you more info on this if you want.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I took in a Senegal that was potty trained. I found out the second day I had him. I was holding him, and he said, "Poop". I laughed, and did nothing. He said, again & louder, "Poop!". I thought, can he be telling me he had to poop? So, I moved him over some newspaper that I had spread on the floor. And he pooped. So, next time he said "Poop", I brought him to where he could. And every time he had to poop, and was out of his cage, he would tell me. And sometimes when he was in his cage, I'd hear him say "Poop" before pooping. So they can be trained.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think parrots are a lot like kids-some take to potty training a lot faster than others. Kiwi was older and completely untamed when we got him, so it took a long time to get him to recognize we were trying to communicate with him. Nothing we did "clicked" with him at first, but once he picked up what we were asking of him with stepping up, potty training him went really smoothly. We basically watched carefully for his little butt to start dropping and either shooed him back to his perch (if he was close) or picked him up and carried him back (if he was a ways away) and as weird as it sounds, praised him when he went poop in the right spot. It only took a few months (and a few accidents) for him to get the picture he was praised for pooping on his perch. He now automatically goes back to his perch when it's close by, and amazed us when he started signaling us on his own by lifting his foot when his perch isn't close enough to get to. He only has accidents if WE miss his signals. Another option if training doesn't work is specially designed diapers, though I must say, I think it would be more difficult to train a bird to wear a diaper than to signal/return to their perch/cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts