Proper Portion...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
.... I know the size of the fid determines the amount of grub one gets,I'm curious on what parront's feed theirs. Amy gets Bistro in the morning along with fresh fruit and vegs. If there isn't fresh stuff he gets just Bistro and being organic and such it has stuff already mixed in. I give him usually four oversized teaspoons. If it has come from the fridge it's usually clumpy/chunky and I crush it with the spoon,and let it get to room temp before giving it to him. If it came fresh from the microwave he gets about 5 tablespoons coz it's fresh and loose. He always has a fresh bowl of Roudybush Maintenance pellets,about two cups worth,with two or three nutraberries,a small sprinkling of cheerio's and krispies of rice to nosh on during the day,usually changed out every other day,sometimes everyday coz I'll find pellet dust on his basement floor/in his snack bowl.

BB gets 1 and 1/2 cup's of fruity blend and 1/2 cup of Roudybush for 'tiel's every other day along with a two inch piece of birdie crack (millet) two,maybe three times a week and he gets Bistro for a good night snack before bedtime. Now that I've made chop,I mix Bistro in with it for both of them. BB will also sample from my plate,he's not a big fan of fruit.
Should I be giving him some type of Cockatiel seed? I eliminated seed a while ago on Dr Kristin's advice.

Just weighed both..Amy is at 549g's and Beeber's is at 94g's.

Jim

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
what i give tiki- its- its a mess it chanages all the time
Here is what i plan on feeding her today (its 6:53 in my country so she still didnt wake up)
I manually use birdtricks feeding guide (the only useful thing they ever sold)
this time ill give her chop with my recipe
steamed carrots
lettuce
a bit of spinatch
califlour
brocoli
red,yellow peppers
chilli pepers
a bit of sliced apples so she doesnt lose intrest
and i throw in some other stuff i find in the fridge
she has the chop out for three hours (changed if needed!!)

in the evening tiki gets a open bowl of pellets till bedtime (7:00)
i only use seeds in training (i do LOT OF it )
and fruits for foroging

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I tend to "overfeed" chop knowing they waste far more than consumed.

Pellets are generally replenished once bowl nearly empty. Frequently dumped overboard, or one bite taken, discarded, another selected.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I don't exactly feed chop and Pascal won't touch it, rather make a nice huge veggie kebab for him (whatever I find at home but but bell pepper, carrot and cucumber is a must). Morning it's Roudybush pellets, midday Harrison's high potency (as treats). He will always nibble at the Roudybush pellets as they're always available. Throw the dust to thr wilderness, top with new fresh pellets. Conures Don't eat greens much so sometimes I'm clueless what to give more!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty gets 2 walnuts broken into pieces, a nutraberry or 2 , 2 almonds and a tablespoon of Roudybush pellets, all for breakfast. For lunch, its usually some kind of fruit, blackberries, blue berries, Kiwi, Mango or some frozen peas ( he loves them like that) or some corn, each about a heaping tablespoon. For dinner he gets his chop, 2 heaping tablespoons, zapped so its warm, mixed with either another nutraberry or some texas freeze dried. Sometimes I will replace those with Zupreem Fruit Fun mix, but not often. He wastes very little, especially his chop - he plows right into that.

Most Reactions