Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Has anyone here ever been tested for psittacosis? My bird tested positive for it, and I know I should go and get tested as I've been kinda sick for a while (although I have always had a terrible immune system and usually suffer every winter!!) I just wanted to know what the tests for people involve... terrified of doctors and blood tests so I love avoiding them unless I'm dying lol...

From your story , i'd "bite the bullet" and go see a doctor. I'd tell him you've been exposed. What treatments did the AV prescribe ?

I know I will have to eventually go :( I just can't find any information on how they diagnose it with people. I'm betting my dr won't even know what it is or how to test for it lol.. She has to have a weekly needle for 5 weeks and then medicine in water for 3 weeks. :( Poor bubby girl.

She said that if I continue to be sick - Most symptoms in humans include fever and an ongoing cough, I should get tested. I keep getting the flu, no fever.. But I do always end up with a chest infection... I did ask her how it would be diagnosed and she wasn't sure as its very uncommon for people to get psittacosis. But I would need to explain to the Dr what Audrey has, so that the right testing can be done. Unfortunately good drs are not common where I am from lol! My dr often google's stuff in front of me! He probably wouldn't know what to look for while testing.. I can't find the info myself :\

Well you could let your vet do the test. (lol) just kidding you should get checked out it can cause extreme cardio and lung problems your baby fid needs you healthy so stop being a wimp and go see you Dr. be a big kid about it.

Stop being a wimp ? Hope you're kidding. I have serious anxiety problems, that I can't help.. I wish the vet could test for it lol. Would probably know more then my dr would

Actually I've finally found a website that says its diagnosed with a blood test and chest x-rays!

Edit: Also judging by most of these symptoms I'm reading, looks like I'm in the clear. Guess I will get tested to be on the safe side though.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back