pumkin garden question (help)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have accidentally grown pumpkins before (compost pumpkins lol) but I am deliberately trying to plant them this year. I know they travel and spread, but I do not want to have to pull up the grass in my backyard other than for the initial planting hole...which I know should be fertilized and free of grass....BUT,
Do they have to grow in massive dirt fields, or can I just leave the grass around the planting hole and let them travel over it?

I want to dig a hole about the size of a saucer sled and just let them grow from there (without tearing up the rest of the yard)...Yes, I know that the vines and fruit may eventually kill the grass by default...

I also plan to attempt to grow a few vertically using nylon trellises and stockings for support...but do I need multiple root entry points on one plant?

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
The concern with grass isn’t that the vine or pumpkin rests on it (though it will make cutting grass a challenge).

The challenge with just the initial hole is that the vine roots are growing under grass. At that point the grass can begin out competing the vine for water and nutrients — grass is a feeding machine whose roots are very dense - I’m sure you e tried to pull grass with hand before as a kid! - and don’t let too much pass through, Or remain for long. It will kick your vines at money money.

Id suggest at least 2-3’ wide clearing fo grass All around the base of the plant to minimize competition.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hmm...my yard isn't that big in terms of the sunny areas...I hate to destroy more than I have to.
How are people able to grow pumpkins vertically if this is the case? There are lots of videos of people doing it with success.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
You’ve still have to grow it in the grass, so it wouldn’t fix the problem. Growing UP solves the spreading out issue, not competition.

If you’re concerned, you could try to grow in a large pot and let the vine drop over the edge onto the ground.

Most Reactions

Latest posts